DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 short cab sitting in the driveway for about 2 years. My son wants to get it moving again. However, the door handle on the drivers side door is partially broken and door will only open about 1/2". the passenger side door is locked and for some reason the key will not unlock the door. The back glass is solid rather than 2 halfs of a window. The battery is dead so the fob doesn't work. I can't open the hood to put in a new battery since I can't open either door to get in to release the hood.

I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get into it? I tried using a long slim screwdriver through the 1/2" opening on the drivers side but I can't see or feel the latch or anything with it.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 short cab sitting in the driveway for about 2 years. My son wants to get it moving again. However, the door handle on the drivers side door is partially broken and door will only open about 1/2". the passenger side door is locked and for some reason the key will not unlock the door. The back glass is solid rather than 2 halfs of a window. The battery is dead so the fob doesn't work. I can't open the hood to put in a new battery since I can't open either door to get in to release the hood.

I'm out of ideas. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get into it? I tried using a long slim screwdriver through the 1/2" opening on the drivers side but I can't see or feel the latch or anything with it.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Use a slim jim to unlock the passenger door if the key doesn't work. Likely the lock internals are shot (much like one of mine).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts