DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Dodge trucks and I wanted to ask about a Dodge Ram my neighbor has for sale. It has about 195k miles on it and he said the transmission temp light comes on if you drive it over 10 min or so. The VIN is 1B7HC16X6WS5805xx The engine sounds fine but I don't know how durable the V6 series vs v8 is for longevity. It is one owner and he took good care of the fluid changes.

He is asking $1000 for it but I think I could probably get it for a little less. I was quoted $1500 to rebuild the transmission like another posted so I'm not sure if it is worth it or not. He just bought new tires for it before the transmission started to act up so that is a plus. This is a very basic V6 truck (manual windows / doors) but I just want to use it as a farm truck for hauling things. The other question I have is how limited is the towing of this truck vs a V8 engine model? I would like to pull a trailer with a tractor on it but don't know if it can handle it or not.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. I have heard Dodge trucks are infamous for transmission issues so my interest is somewhat tempered by this.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I'm new to Dodge trucks and I wanted to ask about a Dodge Ram my neighbor has for sale. It has about 195k miles on it and he said the transmission temp light comes on if you drive it over 10 min or so. The VIN is 1B7HC16X6WS5805xx The engine sounds fine but I don't know how durable the V6 series vs v8 is for longevity. It is one owner and he took good care of the fluid changes.

He is asking $1000 for it but I think I could probably get it for a little less. I was quoted $1500 to rebuild the transmission like another posted so I'm not sure if it is worth it or not. He just bought new tires for it before the transmission started to act up so that is a plus. This is a very basic V6 truck (manual windows / doors) but I just want to use it as a farm truck for hauling things. The other question I have is how limited is the towing of this truck vs a V8 engine model? I would like to pull a trailer with a tractor on it but don't know if it can handle it or not.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide. I have heard Dodge trucks are infamous for transmission issues so my interest is somewhat tempered by this.
I don't know where people are getting a quote of 1500 dollars to rebuild a transmission. Hello people, I can rebuild them for less than 900 dollars. Besides, that trans temp light can just be due to a tow package that was equipped with certain trucks. The ECM was used on both vehicles with and without the tow package so the code will pop up eitherway.

The magnum 5.2L can tow a lot of weight, believe it or not what is actually restricting that truck from towing to it's engines true potential is the stock drivetrain and the chassis and suspension. I tow my 32' travel trailer which weighs in at around 5000-6000 Lbs, then the tow vehicle is a conversion van which weighs in around 4500-5500 Lbs not to mention it's not the most aerodynamic of all vehicles. Well total weight is around 12,000 Lbs I tow at around 70 MPH averaging 10-12 MPG. That is all completely stock and without a weight distribution hitch, the ram 2500 van I have has a rating of tow up to 7900 Lbs. The engine itself produces a ton of torque, almost half of what a tractor trailer puts out.

With simple modifications, upgrades mainly you can tow anything like it's nothing. My van pulled that 32' trailer like it was nothing, It even managed to move the trailer with it's brakes applied over 4 wheel chocks and I barely had to touch the gas pedal. Even going up a steep grade on cruise control it kept it's speed with no problems.

What you would want to do is rebuild the transmission and upgrade the rear planet with a 6 pinion planet, use alto red eagles and koleenes, raybestos hi energy rear band, borg warner kickdown band, external transmission cooler. Tow out of overdrive, have a custom made high speed balanced driveshaft with a minimum of 1350 series u-joints. The axle ratio can be around 3.55 which is what I run but if you move it up into the 4.1 range you get more torque at the axle. You also want to have a very large engine radiator. What I have is a 3-row all aluminum radiator it is around 2.5-3 inches thick. Serious radiator, I installed the external trans cooler on the pressure line this ways I cool the trans fluid before it enters into the stock cooler, many dragsters and other high performance vehicles has this setup the reason is because it has been shown under extreme usage that the transmission fluid will actually heatup the engine coolant causing the engine to overheat, happened to me driving 80MPH outside of OD on the highway without a load, the radiator also was a little clogged but it still was overheating. Another thing is sometimes debries collect in the cooling jackets of the engine block so if you ever remove a transmission from a dodge truck that has a magnum engine always remove the rear freeze plugs and clean out the block and put some new core plugs, you don't need brass, it took my van 16 years to corrode the OEM galvanized steel core plugs.

The V6 magnum however cannot tow too much weight, but it is still a pretty powerful engine. But I don't think you are going to tow a 6000 -8000 Lb trailer atleast without serious pinging and suffering horrible MPG.

A

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I don't know where people are getting a quote of 1500 dollars to rebuild a transmission. Hello people, I can rebuild them for less than 900 dollars. Besides, that trans temp light can just be due to a tow package that was equipped with certain trucks. The ECM was used on both vehicles with and without the tow package so the code will pop up eitherway.

The magnum 5.2L can tow a lot of weight, believe it or not what is actually restricting that truck from towing to it's engines true potential is the stock drivetrain and the chassis and suspension. I tow my 32' travel trailer which weighs in at around 5000-6000 Lbs, then the tow vehicle is a conversion van which weighs in around 4500-5500 Lbs not to mention it's not the most aerodynamic of all vehicles. Well total weight is around 12,000 Lbs I tow at around 70 MPH averaging 10-12 MPG. That is all completely stock and without a weight distribution hitch, the ram 2500 van I have has a rating of tow up to 7900 Lbs. The engine itself produces a ton of torque, almost half of what a tractor trailer puts out.

With simple modifications, upgrades mainly you can tow anything like it's nothing. My van pulled that 32' trailer like it was nothing, It even managed to move the trailer with it's brakes applied over 4 wheel chocks and I barely had to touch the gas pedal. Even going up a steep grade on cruise control it kept it's speed with no problems.

What you would want to do is rebuild the transmission and upgrade the rear planet with a 6 pinion planet, use alto red eagles and koleenes, raybestos hi energy rear band, borg warner kickdown band, external transmission cooler. Tow out of overdrive, have a custom made high speed balanced driveshaft with a minimum of 1350 series u-joints. The axle ratio can be around 3.55 which is what I run but if you move it up into the 4.1 range you get more torque at the axle. You also want to have a very large engine radiator. What I have is a 3-row all aluminum radiator it is around 2.5-3 inches thick. Serious radiator, I installed the external trans cooler on the pressure line this ways I cool the trans fluid before it enters into the stock cooler, many dragsters and other high performance vehicles has this setup the reason is because it has been shown under extreme usage that the transmission fluid will actually heatup the engine coolant causing the engine to overheat, happened to me driving 80MPH outside of OD on the highway without a load, the radiator also was a little clogged but it still was overheating. Another thing is sometimes debries collect in the cooling jackets of the engine block so if you ever remove a transmission from a dodge truck that has a magnum engine always remove the rear freeze plugs and clean out the block and put some new core plugs, you don't need brass, it took my van 16 years to corrode the OEM galvanized steel core plugs.

The V6 magnum however cannot tow too much weight, but it is still a pretty powerful engine. But I don't think you are going to tow a 6000 -8000 Lb trailer atleast without serious pinging and suffering horrible MPG.

A
Oh yea, the older dodge transmissions are only known for issues because of a few reasons one of which is chryslers fault but every manufacture is entitled to one or two screw ups. The newer transmissions suck in my opinion.

One of the biggest reasons is lack of proper upkeep of the transmission using the correct fluids.

The other issue that was primarly aimed towards the 46,47,48 RE/RH's, A500,A518's. Is the inner lip seal groove on the direct drum, chrysler overmachined the grove for the lip seal by .03", this causes infamous 2-3 shift issues and reverse shift issue. Many times you will not be able to shift into 3rd gear and you will lack reverse gear.

Another BIG issue was with cooling, they get very hot. And another issue is that the assembly was sloppy, when they setup the washers for the total end play they would have it set to tight or to loose, I always set mine around .05-.06 inches, chrysler says anywhere between .032-.084" mine came out stock at .082, after I rebuilt it I got it to .06" so it's pretty close to center.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info and another question..

Thanks for the useful info ramvan2500. Could you PM me a phone contact info number I could call you at? I tried to PM you but I can't because I don't have enough posts yet. Also, are you saying I can't pull a tractor with a trailer on it with a V6 in stock configuration?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks for the useful info ramvan2500. Could you PM me a phone contact info number I could call you at? I tried to PM you but I can't because I don't have enough posts yet. Also, are you saying I can't pull a tractor with a trailer on it with a V6 in stock configuration?
I will PM you my email address, I don't have phone service where I live so I am always using email.

To be honest it depends on how heavy the trailer is, honestly I wouldn't want to tow more then 3000 Lbs with that V6, even 3000 seems much. Thing is the engine produces enough torque and hp to do the job, however I can't say if it will do it as efficiently as lets say the V8. Also the load on the engine would be very big and your engine would probably ping like crazy, but their are many ways to avoid this other then octane booster gasoline, like a simple performance radiator, cooler thermostat.

How heavy a tractor you towing?

Oh I could say that you would probably want to change the rear suspension of the truck if you do any heavy weight towing, what I actually recommend but it's very expensive is to have active suspension helper springs, load shocks, and a weight distribution hitch however with this combination you could almost double or triple the stock load capacity and still have some leeway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts