DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 1998 dodge ram with the 5.9 that wont start. I just swapped in a different motor and got it all hooked up and it cranks over but will not start. I noticed on the dash the odometer is blinking,the security light is on, air bag light, and seat belt light are on. also i cant remember if it beeped like this before but when you first put the key in and turn it it beeps 6 times then stops then 4 more times after that. Any suggestions of what to do or try? thanks joel

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
It definitely sounds initially like the security has to be reset or disabled. Sometimes after a power loss the system alarms and prevents it from starting.

That's the first place I'd start. Check the manual or locate one?

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
Still sounds like a security system.

Did it have a functioning security system before you r & r'd the engine? The security shuts them off to prevent theft. Did you try putting the key in the driver's door, locking it and then unlocking it, and holding it for about 10 seconds?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the security system was functional before the motor swap but does not appear to be now( locked the doors and reeached in and open the doors and it did not do anything) i did what you said and cycled the key in the door and still does nothing. Ive been dong alot of reading and am thinjking it could be the ecu.

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
I'd double check the body ground from the engine to the body, and the batt to the body. It has the potential to do what you're describing. Maybe even take a pair of jumper cables and try a temp to see if it'll start.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In your odometer, it's digital right? Is it flashing anything? No Bus? or is your mileage just blinking?

You need to go back and look over every single ground, tighten them, make sure the surface they are mounted to is clean.

Do you have key less entry? If so, after you check all the grounds, lock it with the key less remote, wait, and unlock it with the remote. I went through the same thing with my other Dakota and that's what fixed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The odometer is just blinking the mileage. It has remote entry but I do not have the remote didn't come with truck when I bought it. When I get a day off I will check all the grounds( hopefully tomorrow). Can I move the grounds on the back of the reads to a different spot on the heads just a pain to get to.

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
Use the Jumper cables to create a temporary ground to test it. Jumper cables are the easiest to test it. Clamp one color on something like the alternator bracket and the same color to something like the radiator support, hinge mount, whatever. You want to make sure the engine has a solid ground to the body.

Then just check the negative terminal ground from the battery to the body.

Just another question...are you sure you connected the trigger wire to the starter and that nothing is crimped between the trans and engine block?

It definitely sounds like a ground or security issue. Try reprogramming the key fob and give it a try if you haven't already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a way to reprogram the key fob with out going to the dealer for the obvious reason that the truck doesnt run. I have a feeling it might have to do with the security also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts