DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am very green when it comes to the 318. I have a good understanding of performance and everything else car related but when it comes to dodge engines my knowledge is not there. I know most of you guys know the inticasies of chrysler motors so I'll lay out what I want and I hope i can get some suggestions.

I have a 1999 1500 4x4 with an AT. It's primarily used for hunting, fishing and towing. It is about time for a fresh motor and I definately want to improve the power, mileage, and drivability.

I want to retain the injection, exhaust (only for the time being), and the rest of the drive train as is.

I am willing to have some block work done, bore, align bore, decking the block(I understand dodges have slopy deck clearance from the factory).I would also like to stick with a stock head but am willing to pick up another set if there is something better out there I can also do port matching/ polishing myself (I have done lots of chevs).

I would like to get in the 9:1 compression range, a little over would be ideal. I have no idea what cam profile to go with but it has to be reasonable with the injection.

Here are my questions:
- Am I better off starting with a 360 and will that work with the existing injection (it seems the computer and injectors wouldneed to be changed)?

- Is there a more Ideal head to start with?

- Does anyone know a piston that will provide a decent compresion and improve the quench?

- Cam recomendations, What have you guys used in your projects?

- Any off had advice or suggestion are more than welcome.

I know this is a lot to ask but when I bring my block, heads etc into the shop I want to have some idea of what my plan will be.

Tanks,

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
The PCM is the same but you will need a different flash for it if you build up the 5.2 much or go to a 5.9. Stock compression on your 5.2 is 9.1:1 so just square decking or zero decking the block and leveling the heads will give you a bit of a compression bump. Stock cam specs - .432 lift @ zero lash on both valves. Intake duration 250, exhaust duration 254. 31 degrees overlap. This should give you a basis for comparison when you go cam shopping. If you'd like any more stock specs on the 5.2 or 5.9, let me know.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
There is a aftermarket cylinder head available that out flows most of the performance heads right out of the box . And their very reasonable . I'll have to look around for the article . It was in a magazine several months ago . Will look and get back to ya .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Randy. I think I have settled on a cam 258 intake, 264 exhaust, .480 lift. I have also decided the valve springs will be replaced. I am guessing that is a bit too much lift for the stockers. Any other sugestions head or valvetrainwise guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts