DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this is my first thread. I am now the happy owner of a 1999 Dodge Ram extended cab 4x?. I know the 4wd does not work properly because there are vacuum hoses that need to be replaced between the transfer case to the front axle, but I do not plan on tackling that until I figure out the 4wd light on the speedometer cluster.
I have spent many an hour on this so far. I am hoping to summarize what I know and what I really need help with.
The 4wd indicator light never illuminates, even when starting the vehicle. All the other lights work, and I know the bulb is good. The actuator switch on the front axle is flaky and needs to be replaced. However, the two wires do not have any voltage running through them....ever. I have tried using a jumper and completing the circuit but still no 4wd light.
Is there a relay, fuse, or a best way to check the wiring? Once the 4wd light works, I plan to repair the actuator switch and the vacuum hoses...or replace with a manual locking system. Your help is very appreciated!

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Hi, Jim, and thanks for joining the RamforumZ. I encourage you to stop by the Newbie Checkin section and introduce yourself so other members and give you a proper how-do-ya-do.

Good luck with your quest, Jim. I know electrical issues can be a beat down.

·
Registered
951 Posts
My 4wd light never comes on unless I'm in 4wd, even when starting the vehicle when all the rest of the lights come on. The only way to know if that light works is to actually engage 4wd as far as I know. Good luck with you truck and welcome!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sometimes you can do a bulb check. Or at least I can on my 01. You hold the trip reset. Then turn key on and off 3 time's after the 3rd time leave it in run. Don't start the truck. The chime will ding. Then all of the lights on dash will come on. And all of the gages will do a full sweep. After checking system the lights will turn out and the chime will go back to normal. That will let you know if it's a,bulb or switch.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Also your light won't come on unless the axel locks. So as long as you can't engage axle's it won't light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I tried the cluster test (holding the odometer pin in and turning the key three times). Everything worked like a champ - EXCEPT for the 4WD light. I have replaced the bulb twice and even swapped with a known good socket and bulb. I wonder what makes the light turn on? Maybe there is a relay I have not found yet?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If there is its in main power distribution block under the hood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The good news is after many hours, I have found two broken wires in the wiring harness, AND a bad light bulb in the cluster. The 4WD light works now! I need to repair the vacuum hoses from the transfer case to the actuator and likely replace the actuator switch and vacuum actuator. Unfortunately there is not much vacuum pressure through the lines and I am afraid even if DO replace the broken vacuum lines, and the other parts then 4wd will still not be reliable. Any thoughts to replacing it with this systems vs. the mentioned above? http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts