DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 1999 dodge ram diesel. Today I drove it for 45 minutes and it ran fine. I shut it off for an hour and when I started it back up the oil pressure guage went to 0. It stayed there for a minute then went back up to normal. Then a minute later it went back down to 0. I shut it off and checked the oil which was good. I decided not to drive it home so I left it there. What might the problem be? Is it safe to drive home? Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It could be a couple different things; bad gauge, bad pressure censor, bad oil pump. I could not tell you it is safe to drive because if it is a oil pump you can damage the motor quickly.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Could be a malfunctioning guage or oil pressure problem . If the motor sounds fine (no tapping or knocking) when the guage goes to 0 it is probably just a bad sending unit or guage . I know that diesel is noisy , so you may not be able to hear it . You may have to install a mechanical guage and perform pressure test on motor to confirm it's Ok to drive .

G

·
Congrats on a cheap fix...it could have been much worse!

One rule to always employ is start with the simplest things first...sensors, sending units, wires, etc...before you start tearing into the engine. It'll save you a lot of time, trouble and money.

Ask me how I know... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I have a 1999 dodge ram diesel. Today I drove it for 45 minutes and it ran fine. I shut it off for an hour and when I started it back up the oil pressure guage went to 0. It stayed there for a minute then went back up to normal. Then a minute later it went back down to 0. I shut it off and checked the oil which was good. I decided not to drive it home so I left it there. What might the problem be? Is it safe to drive home? Thanks.
Mine did the same I replaced it, no issues since

1 - 7 of 7 Posts