DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I have a 1999 dodge ram 5.2 liter, All stock. It has a 5 speed Standard trans. My firsts prob started when I would put the truck in neutral and cost to a stop sign and it would die..
After a few weeks of this off and on it ha started to do it all the time. Every time it's not in gear until it warms up for a while. (Like 15 min of driving) (I can start the truck and it will idle and warn up and won't start this tell I get on the road)
Then when I was on the highways the other day, it started making a rattling noise when it was under a load..
And progressively got worse, it then started to sound like it was backfiring..
So I pulled and cleaned up the idle control valve on the back of the throttle body. While doing this I noticed that it was very dirty. I shined a flashlight down the throttle body and inside there is allot of black soot...
Also idk if it condensation or not but there is allot of liquid that comes out the exhaust tip. I need help :(

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
As long as the soot is dry soot you should be okay with the plenum gasket.

I'd change the IAC or unplug it and see if it runs worse. If it runs worse, then it's okay and was doing it's job. Alternatively, I'd consider the upstream 02 sensor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts