DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One week of driving the 2019 and a few thoughts for those who are on the fence. Read to end before flame. Love tha tech and that was a big reason for trading my 17 limited. What was missing was the on center steering feel. The truck felt less planted, tiring actually, loss of feel, not consistent. Then I turned off lane sence. Everything is great again. Maybe it's the lines in the roads I frequent. The lane keeping works as advertised, great symbology, all intuitive. The adaptive cruise is much more smooth than other cars I driven. The led lights are great, and the auto diming works better than 6 digit cars I've driven. It was the bad handling that had me wandering if I had really messed up. Drove in heavy rain today with lane sence off traction control off awd and all 8 cylinders. Perfect. If you test drive and it feels weird start turning the interference off for a better feel. Doing a longer interstate drive soon and I'll see if the lane keeping works better with those markings. Also there is the price. I swallowed the increase mentally looking at all the refinements you get. There was nothing wrong with the 17 but They had to make it better. imo... So biggest gripe is that with lane sence on I never feel like I'm the only one driving the truck, and guess what, you are not. But you do have a choice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can set the LKAS sensitivity in settings it makes the reactions more or less severe. Maybe turn it to low, default is mid. Not that you care but on Honda cars with it, the function only works above 45 mph, while the Ram is slower speeds so I it tends to be more noticeable to me at least. When it starts to bug me I shut it off, them I always end up turning it on. I don’t mind it but it does take away the control feel at times.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You can set the LKAS sensitivity in settings it makes the reactions more or less severe. Maybe turn it to low, default is mid. Not that you care but on Honda cars with it, the function only works above 45 mph, while the Ram is slower speeds so I it tends to be more noticeable to me at least. When it starts to bug me I shut it off, them I always end up turning it on. I don’t mind it but it does take away the control feel at times.

I agree......I'll have my truck in a week or so, but I've read the owner's manual about 100 times while waiting on it to be built lol

In my BMW, I always turned it off. But I'll put the ram on a low setting once it arrives.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried lowering the levels and it is better. I'm going back and forth with on and off also. The orange light when it is off is almost at a nuisance level at night, but it seems to disappear after a while. Same for the green headlight and auto dim indicators. These are not dimable but also seem to fade from view after a bit. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One week of driving the 2019 and a few thoughts for those who are on the fence. Read to end before flame. Love tha tech and that was a big reason for trading my 17 limited. What was missing was the on center steering feel. The truck felt less planted, tiring actually, loss of feel, not consistent. Then I turned off lane sence. Everything is great again. Maybe it's the lines in the roads I frequent. The lane keeping works as advertised, great symbology, all intuitive. The adaptive cruise is much more smooth than other cars I driven. The led lights are great, and the auto diming works better than 6 digit cars I've driven. It was the bad handling that had me wandering if I had really messed up. Drove in heavy rain today with lane sence off traction control off awd and all 8 cylinders. Perfect. If you test drive and it feels weird start turning the interference off for a better feel. Doing a longer interstate drive soon and I'll see if the lane keeping works better with those markings. Also there is the price. I swallowed the increase mentally looking at all the refinements you get. There was nothing wrong with the 17 but They had to make it better. imo... So biggest gripe is that with lane sence on I never feel like I'm the only one driving the truck, and guess what, you are not. But you do have a choice.
My dealer told me that the lane keeping system would only work 3 times for each ignition start. This was done so that you could not let the truck "self drive". Have you found this to be the case? I was hoping this was not true as it renders that feature nearly useless. Alternatively I was hoping that someday there would be a "Hack" of that limitation.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don’t think that is correct I’ve had mine correct way more than 3 time, but it will correct itself a few times then tell you to put your hands on the wheel or something like that so you can’t just let it keep,correcting itself. I think that is what he is referencing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
400 miles of driving and I really pushed the system and there was no limit. It kept working and just wanted my hands on the wheel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was not s complete a complete answer. The system worked for the entire drive but after three lane corrections the system would disengage and tell me to but my hands back on the wheel.
After placing my hands back on the wherl the system would resume. I drove a Tesla and that system would cut off after these events for that drive and the next drive.
Not so with the Ram. The corrections by the Ram are in no way self driving. Depending on the settings they are mild to crude turns back into your lane. While using the lane keeping mode the steering has less feel than my 17 limited.
Even with the system off the steering feels more boosted than my 4th gen. After a 400 mile trip i was much more relaxed because of all the features especially the adaptive cruise control. The lane sence system cycles off and on seamlessly with a push button.
Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts