DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not quite 100 miles on it, yet. But we're taking it on a longer road trip tomorrow. Am real pleased with the truck so far. Has far more power than my 2001 V10, and the comfort level, especially for a 3500, is astounding.

Finally have gotten more comfortable with all the tech stuff....it's actually pretty intuitive, imo. The voice stuff is quite handy, especially for handsoff adjustment of different things in the vehicle, like climate control and such.

Deflated the tires to 50 rear(cold) and 60 front(cold), and have been pleasantly surprised that the TPMS has not come on or dinged. And it rides so much better at that psi. Same psi I used on my old Dodge.

I cannot say enough good things about the Alpine 10 speaker stereo. It takes some playing with the adjustments to get it to your personal preference, and the sound is not great on a normal, non HD radio station. But hooked up to my cell phone playing it's tunes, or HD radio, or Sirius....the sound is awesome!!!! So glad I ordered it!!!!

Once I get it broken in, going to try a standing full throttle start.....I bet this thing could smoke the tires bigtime. Seems to have power up the wazoo.

One thing of note....when the MDS engages, it sure changes the tone of the exhaust....sort of a super low rumble, rather than the usual growl. Still not sure about keeping that engaged when I drive it. All depends on what sort of mpg returns I get over the first 10k(hand calculated).

Oh yea, it's going to be really nice once the steps are installed on it on the 6th of July. Takes some real effort to get my fat ass into this beast right now.....lol.

Real, real happy so far. Wife drives it for some good miles tomorrow. She needs to get comfortable with it, as she'll be the person driving when doing the big hauling. She is excited. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Curious what kind of mpg you get, once she's broken in. At least in the 1500's , I've found mds is your friend. Been getting close to 24 mpg with a 2017 4x4 qc hemi. My biggest complaint with both hemi Rams that I have= rear tires get worn off kinda fast! Congrats!

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,247 Posts
Yep.

Told ya you'd like it.
We're creeping toward 10K miles on ours, and like it every bit as much as when we first got it.
Like you, we thought it had plenty of power at first too. Then we got a couple of thousand miles on it and started not worrying about break-in any more and just kinda turned it loose as conditions required.
Woohoo...

You're gonna like that too, I bet. Even with a 3500+# payload it scoots right up freeway on-ramps, even the short steep ones we get around here in the mountains, and it's up to highway speed in plenty of time to merge with traffic. Climbs mountain passes like a champ too. The longer 8% ones will get the engine wound up to around 4K rpm for sure, if you insist on maintaining speed, but even then the noise level lets you talk normally in the cab.

Haven't got around to exploring the radio or any of that stuff yet, I don't even know if voice command is a feature on the system we got. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

I think it does bluetooth for phones and stuff, so I may give that a whirl at some point. One day I'll have to turn it all on, just to find out what the plain vanilla sound system is like. I've been saying that about our Subaru too, though, and we've had that almost 4 years now, so who knows?

Haven't floored it from a standing start yet either, partly because I'm perfectly certain it would smoke the tires. Especially the OEM tires, which are my least favorite part of the whole truck so far.

I don't dislike them so much I'm about to ditch them before they wear out, but I won't be sorry when that happens, and I don't think that will be too terribly long either. I doubt they'll go past 25K at the most.
Probably go with some Michelins then. Or maybe Coopers.

Anyway, look forward to hearing about your impressions once you get the camper loaded and all the other gear onboard. I'll be surprised if you don't decide to go with air bags to take out the bit of squat you'll get with the camper on board, and especially with both it and the horse trailer hooked up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yep.

Told ya you'd like it.
We're creeping toward 10K miles on ours, and like it every bit as much as when we first got it.
Like you, we thought it had plenty of power at first too. Then we got a couple of thousand miles on it and started not worrying about break-in any more and just kinda turned it loose as conditions required.
Woohoo...

You're gonna like that too, I bet. Even with a 3500+# payload it scoots right up freeway on-ramps, even the short steep ones we get around here in the mountains, and it's up to highway speed in plenty of time to merge with traffic. Climbs mountain passes like a champ too. The longer 8% ones will get the engine wound up to around 4K rpm for sure, if you insist on maintaining speed, but even then the noise level lets you talk normally in the cab.

Haven't got around to exploring the radio or any of that stuff yet, I don't even know if voice command is a feature on the system we got. I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

I think it does bluetooth for phones and stuff, so I may give that a whirl at some point. One day I'll have to turn it all on, just to find out what the plain vanilla sound system is like. I've been saying that about our Subaru too, though, and we've had that almost 4 years now, so who knows?

Haven't floored it from a standing start yet either, partly because I'm perfectly certain it would smoke the tires. Especially the OEM tires, which are my least favorite part of the whole truck so far.

I don't dislike them so much I'm about to ditch them before they wear out, but I won't be sorry when that happens, and I don't think that will be too terribly long either. I doubt they'll go past 25K at the most.
Probably go with some Michelins then. Or maybe Coopers.

Anyway, look forward to hearing about your impressions once you get the camper loaded and all the other gear onboard. I'll be surprised if you don't decide to go with air bags to take out the bit of squat you'll get with the camper on board, and especially with both it and the horse trailer hooked up.

I took it up to Portland today to pick up my brother at the airport. It was extremely well behaved, quiet, and easy to manage in lots of big city(for us) traffic.

We'll find out by the end of August on the air bags. The two camping trips will be done by then, and my wife will have a good idea on the handling. It will all depend on what she wants, as she is the only one that drive both the camper and horse trailer at the same time. When it is just her and me, I do the driving, but that is only with the camper, as I am not a horse nut.
I also might go with that rear aftermarket sway bar you installed, too....just depends on the handling. We're used to a lot of body roll and such with the old truck, so I imagine we'll be pleasantly surprised with this truck, as the weight specs on it are so much better than our old rig.

Wife was really pleased with it after our 150 miler on Saturday. She drove most of the way, as she hadn't had any good highway and backroads driving with it. She loved the handling and how easy it was to maneuver and just drive, in general.

I am ordering a Curt chain style weight distribution hitch for it, just so the ride is easier to handle for her with the 11,000 lbs total that she'll be hauling. If it needs more, than I will get a newer anti sway type down the road.

And yea, the thing I like the least on the truck is the tires, too. I will probably go a couple years on them, and then switch to BFGs or Falkens.

Altho, you have a good choice there with the Michelins. We had Michelin type E tires on our old truck as oem, and they lasted 60k easy, and were wonderful in the dirt and mud and snow.

Got almost 400 miles on it now. Says it's averaging 15.4 mpg...yea right....I will start hand calculating next fillup. And yea, realize it won't really give me true mpg until after 10k. But, interesting to see what it does until then.

Today, I had a funny thing happen with the high tech.....phone was bluetoothed up to the truck, and my wife called....didn't know how to answer....starting clicking buttons....nothing. Then I tried to call her back on my cell, and the truck took over again....and I was like, arrrggghhh!!!!....need to learn this obviously.....lol. Think it's because I hit the voice recognition button rather than the phone icon button to answer the phone....I'll get used to it.

Best thing so far about the truck, besides the sheer power and sound of the engine under acceleration......is how quiet it is in the cab while cruising at highway speeds.

Great truck so far. And I am getting used to the seat adjustments, so my comfort level is starting to dramatically improve. My comfort level in the seat today on my trip to Portland was really comfortable 75% of the time....and on the way back...around 90%. But then again, I am a pretty large guy(width), and I always realize that the seats will need a lot of adjustments with my fat arse.....lol.

Biggest thing my wife and I are looking forward to, is steps installed on it on Friday.......lol.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Congrats on the truck, a 6.4 with 4.10 gears is so hard to find around here in a crew cab, for some reason they want to give everyone 3.73's.
How does the transmission feel loaded on inclines, is it hunting for gears, or does it just needs to run higher rpm's?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Congrat's your going to like your truck. I have a 2016 2500 4x4 w/4:10 gears and the 6.4 it now has 20,000 plus miles on it and the truck is a work horse for sure. I like the tradesman model but would get a Big Horn model next time just for some of the nice add-on like rear seat with fold down back for the dogs to have a better area. I'm not hauling a lot or pulling extreme large trailer but it handles my 24 ft TT and 18 ft Car trailer just fine. I live in southern Oregon and had to have are local dealer go out of state to find me a 2500 w/6.4 hemi everything here is the diesel trucks otherwise I would have gotten the Big Horn but just couldn't find one with in the pacific northwest dealers.

Carol

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrat's your going to like your truck. I have a 2016 2500 4x4 w/4:10 gears and the 6.4 it now has 20,000 plus miles on it and the truck is a work horse for sure. I like the tradesman model but would get a Big Horn model next time just for some of the nice add-on like rear seat with fold down back for the dogs to have a better area. I'm not hauling a lot or pulling extreme large trailer but it handles my 24 ft TT and 18 ft Car trailer just fine. I live in southern Oregon and had to have are local dealer go out of state to find me a 2500 w/6.4 hemi everything here is the diesel trucks otherwise I would have gotten the Big Horn but just couldn't find one with in the pacific northwest dealers.

Carol

Yea, that's why I had to order mine. There were no 4.10 rear ends to be found in Oregon on any of the lots. And, as you said, most were also diesel, especially the 3500s, and I wanted the 6.4L Hemi. Had to wait 12 weeks for it, but it has been worth it, as the combo of the 6.4L with the 4.10 rear end seems to work really well so far. So far the shifts have been really definite, with no hunting whatsoever. Will be interesting to see how it does towing, and as it gets more miles on it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats on the truck, a 6.4 with 4.10 gears is so hard to find around here in a crew cab, for some reason they want to give everyone 3.73's.
How does the transmission feel loaded on inclines, is it hunting for gears, or does it just needs to run higher rpm's?

Haven't had it loaded with the full camping outfit, yet. That is a 2600 pound dry weight Northern Lite 10'2" camper with a Trailswest 3 horse trailer(around 7-8k fully loaded) behind it. That will happen in a couple weeks.

When we took it out this last weekend in the Coast Range, it didn't seem to do any hunting when down shifting on a couple good grades. Just grabbed the gear and powered up the grade at a bit higher rpm level.
But am sure it will be quite a bit different with a full load on it a couple weeks from now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wife took it with her horse friends today, up into the high lakes in the Oregon Cascades....around the 5-7k foot level. She and her friends loved the truck. Exceeded my wife's expectations, bigtime. I really like hearing that, as I already loved the truck.

She also said that she got a lot of comments and looks today. :)

Her and the Granite Golem up at one of the high lakes.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like you guys have found a great truck that meets all your needs. It's also a really nice color ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ready for camping

Just a couple of things added to my truck on Friday. Steps(YEA!!!!), and a torklift superhitch and tiedowns.

You can see the old super hitch on our old truck in the background. Have been using that hitch for 16 years, and I can't say enough good things about it, especially when you need to run a 21" extension to clear the camper for the trailer. I will take some pictures when the camper is on later this week showing the extension setup...it's a beast.

Will be putting full weathertech or husky mud flaps on it in another month or two. The dorky looking cheapo dealership rear flaps will do for now, as they are better than nothing until I install a good, better fitting full set with no logo garbage.

The steps lowering the clearance on the sides of the truck won't be an issue for us, as we'll never be doing any sort of hard core rock crawling with the truck. All we use the 4WD for is mud(especially when the horse trailer is hooked up), snow, and the occasional rough non-2wd back roads that we enjoy taking from time to time. Have similar steps on the old truck, and never had any issues with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,247 Posts
Yeah, I'm curious to know how much squat you get when you load the camper.

Measuring from the ground to the top of the rear wheel arch before and after loading our 2800# camper, I discovered we got about 3" of squat.

With the camper ready to roll with full wet weight and the truck/camper loaded with gear and people we get a solid 4.5".

It takes just about 50 pounds of air in the bags to get back to level with the dry weight, and close to 70 to level up when fully loaded.

Your camper is a bit lighter than ours, and you have the 8' bed as well, but at least some of the time you'll have the hitch weight from the horse trailer in addition, right?

I'm really interested to see how this comparison plays out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just got my 17 3500 SRW Mega Cab 4X4 with 6.4L Hemi and 4.10 gears a couple weeks ago. Haven't got steps yet, but working on it.

Last weekend I hooked up my camper 7600 gross trailer weight and took it across NC to the zoo. I had a tongue weight of 985lbs on the tongue scale, but didn't weigh the truck nor trailer. We went about 600 miles round trip for this one with me, wife, 2 teenage kids and a 50lb dog in the cab. We had 3 bikes a mini fridge, 4 zero gravity camp chairs and 2 folding tables in the bed. I estimate 2200lbs total payload.

Truck pulled the trailer beautifully, it was awesome and I loved it! MPG less awesome, but not terrible, all flat roads avg 60mph and got 7.8mpg on the way there and 8.1 on the way back, calculated by hand. Oy have 850 miles on the truck now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm curious to know how much squat you get when you load the camper.

Measuring from the ground to the top of the rear wheel arch before and after loading our 2800# camper, I discovered we got about 3" of squat.

With the camper ready to roll with full wet weight and the truck/camper loaded with gear and people we get a solid 4.5".

It takes just about 50 pounds of air in the bags to get back to level with the dry weight, and close to 70 to level up when fully loaded.

Your camper is a bit lighter than ours, and you have the 8' bed as well, but at least some of the time you'll have the hitch weight from the horse trailer in addition, right?

I'm really interested to see how this comparison plays out.

I am certainly hoping for better with the long bed 3500. What you described with your short bed is almost identical to what our 2500 long bed did with the fully loaded camper, and we normally would run it with around 70 psi in the air bags to level it out.

If this thing squats as much as our 2500 did with no air in the bags, I will not be pleased.

Ok...rediting this post big time. I just walked out and rechecked the stats plate on the camper, and its dry weight is 2360, not 2600.

I am figuring I will get around 3 inches of squat with the fully loaded camper, as that would be around 2 inches higher than our old 2500 with the same full load camper and no air in the bags. With the large differences in payload stats between the two, I would think it would be around that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got my 17 3500 SRW Mega Cab 4X4 with 6.4L Hemi and 4.10 gears a couple weeks ago. Haven't got steps yet, but working on it.

Last weekend I hooked up my camper 7600 gross trailer weight and took it across NC to the zoo. I had a tongue weight of 985lbs on the tongue scale, but didn't weigh the truck nor trailer. We went about 600 miles round trip for this one with me, wife, 2 teenage kids and a 50lb dog in the cab. We had 3 bikes a mini fridge, 4 zero gravity camp chairs and 2 folding tables in the bed. I estimate 2200lbs total payload.

Truck pulled the trailer beautifully, it was awesome and I loved it! MPG less awesome, but not terrible, all flat roads avg 60mph and got 7.8mpg on the way there and 8.1 on the way back, calculated by hand. Oy have 850 miles on the truck now.

Sounds awesome, and very encouraging for what I will be hauling with my new rig.

Did you use a weight distribution hitch with it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds awesome, and very encouraging for what I will be hauling with my new rig.

Did you use a weight distribution hitch with it?
Yeah, I had a 1500 before this that I pulled a smaller camper with, so I use that same hitch with heavier bars. It's a Reese Dual Cam setup with 1200lb bars, upgraded the shank to 2 1/2" on the new truck. With this setup I have great sway control in all weather conditions and with crazy truckers passing at high speeds, the trailer doesn't move.

I had about 3" of squat before I put the bars on, but with the WD bars it reduced to 2. I was really pleased with it and it sat nice and level. I don't have any airbags nor air ride to adjust.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yeah, I had a 1500 before this that I pulled a smaller camper with, so I use that same hitch with heavier bars. It's a Reese Dual Cam setup with 1200lb bars, upgraded the shank to 2 1/2" on the new truck. With this setup I have great sway control in all weather conditions and with crazy truckers passing at high speeds, the trailer doesn't move.

I had about 3" of squat before I put the bars on, but with the WD bars it reduced to 2. I was really pleased with it and it sat nice and level. I don't have any airbags nor air ride to adjust.

Nice!!! I am also hoping that with the camper on the bed, and then the 7-8k 3 horse trailer hooked up behind it, that I will get around 1/2-1" of relief on the back of the truck with the wdh, too.

And that mpg is about what I would expect towing a full load. That's about what our old V10 Dodge did pulling the same load. It's the empty mpg on this 6.4L that seems to be so much better than our old V10 so far. Has been a very nice surprise.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, was out checking the camper and making sure the batteries were taking a charge(they were), so went to make sure the electric happijacs were working good, and nothing. Checked all the fuses, reset the circuit breakers, reset the jack controller, and still nothing. So tried manually jacking the the jacks a bit, then plugged in the controller, and one of the jacks started moving on its own. I was like, wth???? Tried another couple times, and same thing.

So went and checked the happijac web site and troubleshooting, and the microprocessor is shot on my control circuit board. So, another $300 and a new wireless control board and controller pad are on their way to replace the old unit.
Should be a simple 20 minute job at most to replace.

Got 16 years out of the old unit, so I can't complain. Glad as hell that I checked that today, so it can be fixed before the weekend. :)

Would have been a real pain in the ass having to manually jack that thing up to get it on the truck.....lol.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts