DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry - I asked similar before but can't find my thread --- my 1st oil change is 1,000 miles away. My dealer says the truck was delivered with Mopar's 5w20 and he "STRONGLY" (his emphasis) urges me to stay with that weight. Says if I prefer a different oil I'm welcome to bring it.

So opinions please. I see several who prefer Amsoil and others with Royal Purple. Is there a problem with the Mopar oil? If I'm gonna change I want to do it now and stay with whatever I land on.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 5W-20 Syn,at my first oil change.Any high quality synthetic(Mobil,Amsoil,Royal purple,etc.) would be fine.Nothing wrong with the Mopar oil,synthetic is better oil IMO.:smileup::smileup:..Rob

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Synthetic is definitely better oil (I'm and Amsoil guy) If you want to go with synthetic bring your own if the dealer is willing; it's much cheaper than the dealer's synthetic.

There is nothing wrong with the stock mopar stuff (it has to meet the same minimum standards as all oils) and if you keep to 3,000 mile oil changes it's unlikely to be a problem.

The dealer is correct about the weight but I would add one note. 0w-20 is superior to 5w-20 as even inn Louisiana it gives better protection at start up. 0w-20 does mean that you need to go with synthetic; I'm not sure it's even available in conventional and if it was I would be concerned about its longevity. You definitely don't want heavier than 20 weight though.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I believe your 2011 Ram HEMI, according to your Owners Manual reads 5,000 mile oil changes, my 2009 reads 3,000. The 2012s read 8,000
Every one of them is exact same HEMI, same engine casting & everything

You can choose how soon to change your oil, as long as it follows your manual, when it involves the CONVENTIONAL OIL. The mileage increases when using Synthetic oil.

When i bought my Ram in 2009, the conventional oil used at the dealership was Mobile 5W-20
In 2010 they changed to Valvoline 5W-20, in the service dept.
In 2011 a new oil provider won the contract, they changed to the Shell products, Pennzoil Brand for gas engines & Rotella oil for the diesels

I don't like changing oil brands, call me old school
When i found out that they were changing to Pennzoil, i started buying Mobile One synthetic at Walmart, $29.99 for a 5 quart jug & going to a auto parts store for a premium brand oil filter, my choice was for the WIX 57899

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree GT - this is one of the first "brand spanking new" vehicles I've ever owned - and the first I've bought from a dealer where I desire to develop a trade relationship. Service manager has already impressed me by working extensively with me on a small intake tube rub on my hood liner that has me wanting to change the tube - and he's open to me supplying my own oil -- even though I get free oil changes for three years thru the dealer. That's why I'm trying to decide what oil to move to - and stick with. So far favorites seem to be Amsoil - which I'd never heard of - and Royal Purple.

He (service manager) seriously suggests the 5w20 -- have not spoken to him about 0w20 - but with only 2,000 miles on truck I still have time to make a decision.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
5W-20 oil is recommended

those numbers really mean
at 5 degrees outdoors starting temperature Winter conditions, the 20 weight oil functions properly

The MDS system (multiple displacement system) works best with 20 weight oil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts