DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and new to the RAM. Have a 2016 CC 4x4 Laramie 8sp 3.21 gears. My buddy has a 2009 Denali truck. Leaving my house at the same time we pulled up to a 4-way at the same time. I knew he is awd so I put mine in 4wd as I pulled up to the stop. I stood on the brake and brought it up to 2500-2800 and told him to go when he was ready. As soon as I saw him move I launched it. Pulled about a truck on him across the intersection and kept pulling. I let off around 65 and had about half a truck gap between us.

Slowed down to about 30 and pulled up and he was like wtf just happened. He thought he would walk on me and to be honest so did I. I told him to run it again from a 30 roll and did the same thing. Soon as I heard him punch it I did the same and the hemi pulled on him again! Very impressed! I raced a Denali like his when I had my tuned ecoboost and it was closer than it was with the ram. I would have bet my eco was faster than the ram.

Do you guys ever launch in 4wd with the rpms up? To me that's the best way from a dig??

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
New to the forum and new to the RAM. Have a 2016 CC 4x4 Laramie 8sp 3.21 gears. My buddy has a 2009 Denali truck. Leaving my house at the same time we pulled up to a 4-way at the same time. I knew he is awd so I put mine in 4wd as I pulled up to the stop. I stood on the brake and brought it up to 2500-2800 and told him to go when he was ready. As soon as I saw him move I launched it. Pulled about a truck on him across the intersection and kept pulling. I let off around 65 and had about half a truck gap between us.

Slowed down to about 30 and pulled up and he was like wtf just happened. He thought he would walk on me and to be honest so did I. I told him to run it again from a 30 roll and did the same thing. Soon as I heard him punch it I did the same and the hemi pulled on him again! Very impressed! I raced a Denali like his when I had my tuned ecoboost and it was closer than it was with the ram. I would have bet my eco was faster than the ram.

Do you guys ever launch in 4wd with the rpms up? To me that's the best way from a dig??
That is exactly how I launch if I'm serious, 2WD does nothing but smoke for the first 40mph for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a buddy that is die hard GM and die hard 07-13 Denali. I texted him after the race and told him that I raced his beloved truck but didn't tell him the outcome. He proceded to talk shit about how my "old man" truck had hurt feelings after that. So I let him have his fun and then told him what really happened was opposite of what he thought. Still didn't believe me. He then bombarded me with every link on the net showing 1/4 mile times from both trucks and you tube videos with GM winning everytime.

I tried to explain to him the he can post all of the numbers he wants but in the real world these trucks are no joke. Do all of the magazine test drivers just floor it from idle in 2wd or something? He is right that all the publications have much slower times on the ram compared to the GM 6.2 and the ecoboost.

I think it is all about the launch in these trucks on the street. I had many races in my 2011 Platinum ecoboost tuned and not tuned and that thing was a monster from a dig in 4wd boost launching. I never lost even against gt mustangs and a ws6 trans am.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I have a buddy that is die hard GM and die hard 07-13 Denali. I texted him after the race and told him that I raced his beloved truck but didn't tell him the outcome. He proceded to talk shit about how my "old man" truck had hurt feelings after that. So I let him have his fun and then told him what really happened was opposite of what he thought. Still didn't believe me. He then bombarded me with every link on the net showing 1/4 mile times from both trucks and you tube videos with GM winning everytime.

I tried to explain to him the he can post all of the numbers he wants but in the real world these trucks are no joke. Do all of the magazine test drivers just floor it from idle in 2wd or something? He is right that all the publications have much slower times on the ram compared to the GM 6.2 and the ecoboost.

I think it is all about the launch in these trucks on the street. I had many races in my 2011 Platinum ecoboost tuned and not tuned and that thing was a monster from a dig in 4wd boost launching. I never lost even against gt mustangs and a ws6 trans am.
With traction control on no less. That is why all the magazine tests are funny to me. I have driven all those trucks and the 8 speed hemi is by far the fastest stock EXCEPT for the 6.2 LS3.

On the street is exteamly hard to beat a 4wd truck in a car that would be faster in the 1/4 because the truck has such strong initial acceleration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are right on with the 4wd on the street. I love the look on their face when a 3 ton brick launches ahead immediately!

I wonder what the 1/4 mile time is on one of these launching in 4wd??

I've seen them all over the place but I would guess mine would be in the mid 14's

I wonder how my buddy's denali would do launching like I did?? I bet it would be a little closer. I think he hit it just off idle.

I have read where some guys are shifting out of 4wd after the launch or in 2nd gear. Will it actually shift when under acceleration? The ford guys would do the same thing and it was determined that it won't actually shift out of 4wd until you let off the throttle. Just wondering if our rams are the same.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
You are right on with the 4wd on the street. I love the look on their face when a 3 ton brick launches ahead immediately!

I wonder what the 1/4 mile time is on one of these launching in 4wd??

I've seen them all over the place but I would guess mine would be in the mid 14's

I wonder how my buddy's denali would do launching like I did?? I bet it would be a little closer. I think he hit it just off idle.

I have read where some guys are shifting out of 4wd after the launch or in 2nd gear. Will it actually shift when under acceleration? The ford guys would do the same thing and it was determined that it won't actually shift out of 4wd until you let off the throttle. Just wondering if our rams are the same.
His (and any car for that matter) will do better if you stall it up (converter stall) and the 4X4 ensures perfect traction.

It is indeed fun as hell when some kid in a brand new mustang has no idea what the hell just happened on 23 north when he revved up to a truck at a red light.

Yes it will, once my initial launch is done and before I hit 2nd (I can't move my arm quite far enough forward due to the acceleration until about 40 mph) I flip back to 2wd and I can say with 100% certainty that at some point after me turning that switch and going to turn off the 1/4 strip it goes backto 2WD or I would feel the binding as I turn left to get my time slip. In any case, the system won't come apart at 110 mph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts