DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I'll be towing for the first time this weekend, 5x8 U-Haul trailer with the scooter in it. I have the towing package on the truck, with the tow/haul control. I've heard some people don't use theirs, that if the roads are not very hilly, it doesn't matter. But I figured if they put it on the truck, it's for a reason. Do most of you that tow, that have the control, use it? I have a big 2010 1500 4x4 Hemi, so the power is there, just want to keep it for many years to come! Thanks!

Kelly

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
is it a 5 X 8 enclosed trailer ?
will there be other stuff in the trailer, like house hold furniture ? or just a scooter, sort of like a Vespa ?

if not, a mid sized car could be used to pull it, there is hardly any weight being pulled, just the trailer & the scooter

·
Registered
568 Posts
I tow with both my RAM's and I always use the tow-haul mode. Easier on the tranny, less slipping. It also helps slow the truck down which some folks don't take into consideration. Changes the shift points and assists the brakes a bit. So it's a win-win to me, I don't even hesitate to use it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If your not travelling far use the Tow/Haul mode. If you are travelling a long distance and the roads are level and your at a high speed you could turn it off for the sake of fuel consuption.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree, short runs around town with a modrate load, or heavy loads anywhere-use tow haul. Anywhere else I feel it's not necessary. You should be able to tell if the truck is shifting alot or the engine is lugging I would hit the tow-haul. I try not to use tow-haul for braking cause I feel that I don't haul heavy enough or often enough that it would wear out my brakes fast enough to warrant the extra gas and tranny heat. Just my opinion...to each his own.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I get to highway speed in tow haul mode the RPM's are the same as regular mode.I wouldn't tow with a 4 cylinder vehicle so I don't want my truck in MDS when I'm towing.Too hard on the drivetrain.The saving on gas would be very minimal.The manual also says to use tow haul when you're towing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts