DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to pull the trigger on this setup either late tonight or early tomorrow morning. I was wondering if anybody had any strong feelings against this setup before I give my credit card number and fork over the cash. I've got a hook on the amp brand new for $500 from a friend who bought it and couldn't use it. The subs I'll be having to buy for a combined total of $255 (after tax and shipping). Foxbox as advertised for about $200 (after t&s). The Type R's run at 300-600 watts RMS I believe so will I be alright "underpowering" them with a combined 1000 watts? Also do ya'll think I should go with 2 ohm or 4 ohm versions of the R? Thanks for any help. It's been hard to get on this website compared to svtperformance that I'm on for the other side of my vehicle obsession.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
2 ohm or 4 ohm doesn't really matter since that amp has a regulated power supply. It pushes 1000 watts from 2-4 ohm. Each sub will be getting 500 watts a piece and should push them just fine. I will be doing the same set up with a PDXM-12. I already have the box just waiting on amp and subs to come in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, I wish I could hear yours or someone else's setup before I go with mine but I've heard good things about them and just hope for the best. That PDX-M12 is the perfect amp for the setup, I just found a great deal on this JL one. Cheapest I could find on any website was $750.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I wish I could hear someone's set up as well but can't find anyone with a similar set up. I wish I could justify buying a JLHD1200 but $800 for amp is ALOT when everything else combined didn't cost that much. I'm pretty anxious to get it installed. I will be doing a complete JL Cleansweep to get my RCA outs and appliying second skin to all areas I can get to during the install.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like that will be first class. Yeah I agree on the amp it's frustrating paying more for it than the rest of the system.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a couple people tell me to go a different route so I'm holding off on the buying the JL 1000/1v2 and gonna look into other option. Not sure I need to spend $1100 on a system. I've heard 2 JL 12W3V3's run best at around 750 watts RMS or so and that would save some money on the amp. Waiting to find a setup like this on craigslist. Did just order a Vararam Air Grabber for the truck so can't wait to feel a few more horses under the pedal.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Wish I had a crew cab to buy that box. I got my two type R's sitting in my middle seat! ha

Can't go wrong with the Type R's though man, I love them. Got a separate Alpine M500 per sub. She goes!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do ya'll think about the Hifonics amps? The BRZ 1700.1 says it will do 1200 watts RMS at 2 ohms. Saving money on the amp and I could go with the IDQ 12v3 by Image Dynamics. Would that setup be better sound quality than the Alpine Type R with the Hifonics amp? Or a W3 with a slightly less powerful Hifonics amp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for posting that man, hows the sound quality with the type r's? What size box are you using and is it vented or sealed?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Thanks for posting that man, hows the sound quality with the type r's? What size box are you using and is it vented or sealed?
Its actually a 100% custom box, believe me its not perfect. This is my first sub box build so. It is sealed I am running around .8/1 cubic foot. So it's right in the sweet zone. They call for .9. I do miss the loudness of my stock vented box but this just looks/fits a lot better

What I was running before:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts