DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. New to the forum officially but have been lurking for over a year. I've read so many forum posts that my eyes are bleeding. I haven't found the straight answer I'm looking for in that time, so I'd appreciate any assistance. Here it goes:

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab 5.7L V-8 (8 speed) 4x4 with 20x8 wheels and 275/60R20 stock rubber. I'm planning on having a 2.5" Rough Country Leveling Kit installed in the coming weeks and I need new rubber, too. I'm looking for what size tire I can fit with the leveling kit WITHOUT spacers on the stock 20x8 wheel.

Thank you all in advance for your knowledge and wisdom. Take care and God bless!

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Consider the Bilstein 5100's over the RC spacer. They will not kill your front end. It is generally considered that 285 65 20 is the biggest you can get away with on the stock rims with no spacer. A few have gotten away with 295 65 20 and even one I think got away with 35x12.5. It's decision you'll have to make. Post some pics when you are done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information,h2oman!

I already have the RC 2.5" leveling kit, as it was a gift. However, that does not mean I have to have it installed if the consensus is that they are unsafe or will do more harm than good. My truck is a daily driver on highway with heavy snow for months on end in the northern Midwest.

If I decide not to utilize the leveling kit, will 285/60R20 work fine without rubbing on the stock 20x8 wheels? I've seen some posts on other forums and YouTube of guys running bigger with stock suspension and wheels.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
I tried that when I first got my truck. I put 275 65 70,s on. It seemed ok until I got it off road. The fender kept slamming down on the tire on large washboards. So, I leveled and that cured my probs. Do yourself a favor and put the Bilsteins on when you get the chance and sell the spacers. Go ahead and put the tires on now if you want. But do the Bilsteins and never look back. The labor charges will be the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm strongly considering with just leaving the street queen stock (I can't afford Bilsteins for now) and running those 275/65R20's that you mentioned. I also saw the post from 2013 when you mentioned having them on until you put your Bilsteins on. I don't offroad and stick mainly to highways. Only rough "terrain" I would drive on is many inches of snow.

That being said, would you think the 275/65R20's would be fine for my daily driving conditions? Thanks again for your insight!

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Yes. They will be fine for everyday driving. You can get 10 ply in that size as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fantastic. Thanks, h2oman. Once the new rubber is on, I'll post before and after pics to this thread. Greatly appreciate your time and insight!

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
You bet buddy.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hello, all. New to the forum officially but have been lurking for over a year. I've read so many forum posts that my eyes are bleeding. I haven't found the straight answer I'm looking for in that time, so I'd appreciate any assistance. Here it goes:

I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Express Crew Cab 5.7L V-8 (8 speed) 4x4 with 20x8 wheels and 275/60R20 stock rubber. I'm planning on having a 2.5" Rough Country Leveling Kit installed in the coming weeks and I need new rubber, too. I'm looking for what size tire I can fit with the leveling kit WITHOUT spacers on the stock 20x8 wheel.

Thank you all in advance for your knowledge and wisdom. Take care and God bless!

I usually look at the 20x9 rims since that is what I have but I would think 285/65R20 would be safe and seems to work for everyone. 295/65 seems to work for most as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before (275/60R20) and After (General Grabber AT/X 275/65R20). Zero rubbing anywhere, including full turn. Looks great and even added black lugs! Thanks for everyone’s input!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Looks good. Congrats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts