DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question... So in going through my new truck I found under the seat that Ram included the reducer for the hitch receiver to go from 2.5" down to 2". Anyone know if that changes the limits? I would guess it reduces you to at least class IV limits, but does it have any other effect?

I couldn't find anything on it in the manual.

·
Premium Member
32,785 Posts
If i am reading correctly:

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45408

The reducer, if it is the sleeve type, keeps the hitch weight capacity

if it is a solid welded piece, the towing capacity is lowered

·
Registered
566 Posts
Does NOT change the weight rating of the hitch itself, however, the 2" ball mount is rated lower than the 2.5". That may sound confusing but I am saying the hitch itself has a rating that will not change, but once you use a 2" ball mount you are now limited by THAT particular piece of the equation which are generally rated less than a 2.5" ball mount. Same deal when going from a 2" ball to a 2 5/8" ball. The ball mount is still rated the same but the limiting factor is now the ball.

Wow, I probably really over-explained that one. Sheesh. Bored at work, sorry.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does NOT change the weight rating of the hitch itself, however, the 2" ball mount is rated lower than the 2.5". That may sound confusing but I am saying the hitch itself has a rating that will not change, but once you use a 2" ball mount you are now limited by THAT particular piece of the equation which are generally rated less than a 2.5" ball mount. Same deal when going from a 2" ball to a 2 5/8" ball. The ball mount is still rated the same but the limiting factor is now the ball.

Wow, I probably really over-explained that one. Sheesh. Bored at work, sorry.
Over explained... Eh, maybe.. I would say thoroughly explained. But you answered the question, which may not have been asked well to begin with. A 2" receiver on a 2 5/16 ball that I have is rated at 1000lb tw and 10,000lb gtw. So the reducer retains those limits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts