DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, tonight I was pulling out of my drive way to go get food. Everything was fine until I started going up hill at the end of my road. I gave the truck some gas, then my check engine light started screaming at me, and the whole truck acted like it was hesitating to go. I turned around and headed back home, and my neighbor (who just so happens to be my insurance guy) came over with his engine tester. The engine is throwing 2 codes. P0171, and P0174. 0171 is causing 0174, and I think it's my fuel filter, because 0171 is fuel running too lean. I just am curious what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try changing EGR unit. It fixed my similar issue. EGR feeds too much exhaust into engine thereby leaning out mixture.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. My engine light just came on this morning with those same codes. I have a 08 1500 sxt with 5.7L. It was starting to idle a little ruff these past few days. Luckly i had my own mini scan tool. Did anyone find out what had fixed their trucks? Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Clogged catalytic converter?
Suggest you put it up on the lift and remove the two downstream O2 sensors, start it and see if the holes spew about the same exhaust. If one is clogged, you might cut that cats pipe 2" before entrance end, and suck out all the carbon thats clogging the interior honeycomb with tongs and a vacumn. Sawsall with steel demon blade cuts clean. Mark re-alignment both sides during cutting to re-weld the pipe/cat back together.
Some guys use a heat sensor gunark as the rear pipe should be 100* hotter than the upstream pipe. youtube vids on this.

Bills86e

·
Registered
92 Posts
ALSO:

The two codes may be intake manifold leak/suction. Set your RPM tool to watch it while you spray brake cleaner around the intake manifold gasket, then vac hoses.

Bills86e

1 - 6 of 6 Posts