DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one converted 2 wheel 3500 deisel to 4 wheel? I like my truck and really don't want to just buy a 4 wheel stock vehicle.
The cost is what will determine my choice. Any tips or sites where they sell kits?
Thanks

·
Banned
2,118 Posts
There is a good bit of fabrication. Youse need to replace your transmission, install a transfer case, froth drive shaft front axle swap and some fabrication for the upper and lower control arms

·
Registered
80 Posts
your only cost effiecient way to do this, if you can even say that, is to buy a whole wrecked truck and swap the drivetrain over. That being said, you could just sell your current truck and spend a bit more and buy a good 4x4 truck that you don't have to swap anything to. the big benefit, at the click of a switch or lever, it's 2 wheel drive also haha.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Four wheel and off road did this mod a few years ago. In the end they said even with getting a donor truck it cost more than just buying a factory 4X4. You may also want to think about what the insurance company would say about it. They usually do not like it when people do major changes like this to there trucks, so they jack the cost and BAM you pay through the nose. Just my 2 cents , Shaun

·
Registered
256 Posts
Sorry to say but it is an idea you need to let go of.

Google it a bit and you'll find plenty of info and prices as well.

Add $5,000 on top of whatever price you were thinking it might cost and you'll be in the ball park.

·
Registered
669 Posts
plus if you ever wanted to sell it, you probably wouldnt be able to. Nobody would want a truck with a 2wd vin that is 4wd. A lotttttt of fabrication and money

·
Registered
747 Posts
plus if you ever wanted to sell it, you probably wouldnt be able to. Nobody would want a truck with a 2wd vin that is 4wd. A lotttttt of fabrication and money
It would sell, but I agree. Custom vehicles only recoup a fraction of the cost spent, plus trying to sell a custom vehicle limits the market.

Average Joe wants a turn key ram. If he has to chose between a ram that is stock 4wd and runs great or a ram that has been converted, probably runs good (funcionality wise) but requires a mix match of parts for his vehicle my bet is on the first one. I have done engine swaps before and if you ever go to a parts store to get replacement parts its a PIA (at least around here). They want to know the vehicle make model etc eventhough I have the part number (in most cases the same part, but under a different make (Chevy vs GM, Honda VS Acura, etc)...blah blah...

OP sell your truck and buy the one you want.

·
Registered
355 Posts
With your truck being a 2001 there are tons of potential donor trucks out there. Keep in mind they did offer your truck with a solid front axle as an option on the 2wd trucks. However, I would recommend finding a GAS powered 4x4 and swapping your motor and trans upgrades (if any) into it. This is a very common procedure and you're looking at the cost of the other vehicle (and since you'd be swapping look for a high milage truck with a body in good shape).

You should check out www.***************** as there are quite a few people who have done this mod both ways.

·
Registered
290 Posts
^^^ The censoring is what will happen if SOPA passes legislation. HAHA JK (ducks in a corner and hopes a moderator doesnt slap me in the head) LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts