DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2000 Ram 1500 with the 5.9L V8 Magnum. When I bought the truck, it had a cylinder misfire, which was eventually diagnosed to be bad valves. The engine was completely torn down, and inspected when the heads were done, and everything, including the timing chain, crankshaft seals, and all other gaskets and seals on the engine were all replaced. The cylinder walls and pistons were all closely inspected and the cylinders all have original cross hatching, which is surprising for an engine knocking on 250,000 miles. The engine now runs a lot better, but still sputters from a stop, and at times, can't seem to decide when to shift, sometimes it will shift at 2000 RPM, other times it will try to shift at 3000-4000 RPM, and for the record, I try to not floor the truck. I also did a paper test with the exhaust, and at idle, the paper is sucked into the exhaust every so often, and after looking around, I am still curious as to if this is "normal," or if I should be looking for a new problem with the engine.

Sorry for the long story, but any and all help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No check engine light. I have done two fuel injectors, and have checked fuel pressure. I have also run some fuel injector cleaner through the tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
no problem man, and if your truck has a distributor it may be out of timing. i had a '98 with a 318 that was efi but also a distributor crammed by the firewall

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the engine was pulled, the distributor was checked timing wise, and it did not appear out of time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
throw a fuel pressure gauge and see what you got..i had a old ford taurus that acted like that and the fuel pump was going out...fuel filter maybye??

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
How did they check the distributor timing? It cannot be checked with a timing gun. The distributor timing is actually fuel synchronization. The PCM uses the CPS and CKP to determine when to inject fuel rather than set base timing. You would need a good professional scan tool in order to check the setting of the distributor. Assuming that this distributor is correct and within 1degree and the fuel pressure is 43.5PSI absolute minimum of 40PSI then the only thing I can think of as far as shifting if concerned is possibly a glitchy TPS sensor. A bad MAP sensor can also cause some issues so check that out with a scope and hand vacuum pump. Be sure all plugs are gapped correctly and torqued to 30 lb-ft. A periodic misfire on only 1 cylinder is less likely to be ignition system related and more likely to be fuel system related. Sputtering though sounds very much like the distributor is slightly out of phase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts