DODGE RAM FORUM banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been researching a slight but annoying vibration that I get at 2000 RPM. It happens in any mode (ECO, Tow/Haul, etc.) and at any speed but always at 2000 RPM. I can feel it in the fuel pedal and the steering wheel. Is does not do it when in park or neutral...only while in motion. I mainly notice it when accelerating but it will vibrate constantly at around 60 MPH when the RPM stays steady at 2000 RPM. At this point, I can take my foot off the pedal and still feel the growl in the steering wheel. Once it shifts and the tach drops below 2000RPM, the vibration is gone.

I really think it is the torque converter but I have been reading a lot about the 5.7 Hemi having fierce torsional vibrations. I mentioned it to my service guy at the dealership and he was quick to blame the MDS system but I can almost bet that has nothing to do with this vibration.

Just wondering if anyone has had or is having a similar vibration at 2000 RPM. Any other ideas on what may cause this? I'm going to take it in soon but I want to be armed with some info first!

Here is a post I found about harmonic/torsional vibrations...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.php?p=1253642&postcount=11

I can believe it being a harmonic vibration but wouldn't it do it even in park or neutral?

I have, and it was syncros that were out of alignment. Look into that buddy. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab with 5.7L Hemi
29 Posts
Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with 32,000 miles. It has the 5.7L V8 Hemi with an 8 speed transmission and a 3.92 rear end. During an extended test drive I noticed that the truck has a slight vibration in the steering wheel and the gas pedal when driving at around 2000 RPM which according to the posts on this forum seems to be a common issue.

The vibration comes and goes with every up shift or down shift as the engine speed passes through around 2000 RPM. Especially annoying is when you are driving at just the right speed and engine load that you are driving steady at around 2000 RPM creating the vibration constantly.

If I put the truck in neutral at highway speed and coast while revving the engine to around 2000 RPM the vibration is not there. It has to be in gear driving at around 2000 RPM to create the vibration. I can consistently reproduce the vibration by manually shifting into any gear and driving at around 2000 rpm. Above or below around 2000 RPM the vibration is not there.

This occurs in both 2wd or auto 4wd. Tow/haul mode makes no difference except that it obviously can change the speed that the 2000 rpm vibration occurs at.

Because the vibration is RPM related (and not speed related) am I correct in assuming that it must have something to do with something on the input side of the transmission like the torque converter? Likewise am I correct in assuming that the vibration is not being caused by anything in the driveline after the transmission?

I wanted to find out myself how common this is so I went to another dealer and test drove a 2018 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with 49,000 miles with the same drivetrain. It had the exact same vibration as I described above. I had the salesman drive it and he said that he wouldn't have noticed it on his own but once I pointed it out to him that he also felt the vibration but thought it was normal and nothing to be concerned about.

I guess if I want to buy this truck I will have to accept the vibration as normal and hope that I van get used to it. My bigger concern is that it is something that will get worse later after the powertrain warranty expires. Has anyone determined what exactly is causing the vibration? Does it always remain the same throughout the life of the truck or has it ever become worse later?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Dave

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My truck has had this vibration seemingly since day 1, with 73 miles on it. Here I am about 15K miles later and it still does it. It has not gotten better, but it has not gotten worse, either.

I test drove 5 or 6 different 1500s of varying drivetrains (the only common thing being the Hemi engine like mine) and trim levels. They ALL did it, including a "just taken off the truck" 2018 with 6 miles on it.

Once I drove the brand spanking new one with 6 miles on it, and it still did it, I figured I would never be able to "fix" the issue, if its even an issue at all.

I did some further research and determined its a ~130hz vibration at 2000RPM. Talked to a few different people that work on eliminating vibrations in big rigs and they pointed out with that frequency and RPM, it is a firing order vibration on a V8. Vibrations from an engine are most likely normal, but are supposed to be isolated from the chassis by the engine mounts, trans mounts, etc. Its possible the mounting is letting the vibration in, its possible the exhaust is vibrating with the engine and that vibration gets in, etc.

Interestingly enough, the diesel version of our trucks has a TSB out for a vibration at 2600RPM. Guess what? A vibration at 2600RPM vibration on a V6 is equivalent to a 2000RPM vibration on a V8. Makes you wonder if there is just this resonant chassis vibration in all of them....some people feel it, some dont. Some dont feel it until we say something :) then they cant un-feel it.

I looked up some differences between the diesel and gas versions. The diesel version gets 3 extra mass dampeners: 1 in the steering wheel (under airbag), 1 mounted to the front differential and 1 mounted to the back of the xfer case. I actually have the steering wheel one, waiting to install it on my truck to see if it helps. The front diff one is only $40 from the dealer, but requires removing the diff/axle/engine mount bolts to install, I didnt want to deal with that just yet. The xfer case one uses a different rear xfer case half, so that one is out of the question (unless I swap the whole xfer case for a diesel version)

After 2.5 years of ownership, its basically the only thing "wrong" with my truck. Ive learned to live with it, in hopes that maybe one day someone figures it out, or my projected future changes at least lessen it a little. I wouldnt let it stop myself from buying another, I like everything else about my truck too much.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply.

I love everything about the Ram trucks that I have test drove except for this annoying vibration. Before I pull the trigger on buying one I need to decide if I can live with it or not since there seems to be no fix.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Another thought I had was that there is resonance coming off the drivers side exhaust (manifold, cat, etc)....if you look under the hood you'll see it goes right under the steering shaft/u-joint and the drivers floorboard. If the exhaust resonates enough, it might transfer the resonation to the steering shaft and then into the truck. Again was hopeful adding the steering wheel dampener would fix it, but I have not had time to do so.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Im curious why if all trucks are built the same why do some have the vibration and some do not?
After driving 5 or 6 of them that did it, I honestly think its there for most (if not all), but some people just arent as sensitive to it as others.

Another example - a guy at work just picked up a 2019 Tacoma. I went for a ride in it with like 100 miles on it and within 3 minutes felt a vibration during deceleration. He didnt feel a thing. Google around and sure enough Toyota has a TSB out for vibration during low speed deceleration. Turns out its a pinion angle issue and they have all sorts of fixes for it.

The point is that he had no idea it was there. Then I told him and he said "oh yeah, I feel it now!"

·
Registered
159 Posts
After driving 5 or 6 of them that did it, I honestly think its there for most (if not all), but some people just arent as sensitive to it as others.

Another example - a guy at work just picked up a 2019 Tacoma. I went for a ride in it with like 100 miles on it and within 3 minutes felt a vibration during deceleration. He didnt feel a thing. Google around and sure enough Toyota has a TSB out for vibration during low speed deceleration. Turns out its a pinion angle issue and they have all sorts of fixes for it.

The point is that he had no idea it was there. Then I told him and he said "oh yeah, I feel it now!"
I had a 2016 that was horrible with the vibration as well as other things but the vibration was so bad I hated driving the truck. It was every shift for 8 gears. Finally after 6000 miles I traded it for a 2017 that was great. There was a huge difference between the two as far as how smooth the engine was. They both were 5.7, hp70 8, 4wd with auto and crew cab short beds.

I think the vibration problem is something simple but overlooked. Once the issue is diagnosed where its coming from its probably easily corrected.

I am now in a 2020 and Ive noticed a very slight vibration at 1800 rpm while cold so its still around(of coarse Im looking for it). I took it back to have the brake light replaced due to water leakage and they gave me a loaner. The loaner has 0 vibration and is smooth as silk. I dont know why some do and some dont.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
After test driving a 2020 Ram with the same drivetrain & cab configuration which exhibited the same vibration under the same conditions, I was convinced that this is "normal" for all Ram trucks with the 5.7L Hemi and I went ahead and purchased the 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with 32,000 miles that I wrote about a couple of months ago in post 183 of this thread.

I basically decided that I would have to live with this vibration if I bought any Ram truck with the 5.7L Hemi and I loved everything else about the truck, especially the price. Now two months and two thousand miles later I think that I may be starting to get somewhat used to the vibration, although it is always there under the before mentioned conditions which unfortunately correlates to freeway speeds.

I absolutely agree that some people are more sensitive to it than others. I have let several people drive my truck and none of them noticed the vibration until I pointed it out to them by having them drive above, below, and at the "sweet spot" (1800 - 2200 RPM's) where the vibration occurs. Once it is pointed out to and noticed by someone they can't go back to not noticing it. Ignorance is bliss. LOL!

I have found that it can be more or less noticeable on different days driving the same routes at the same speeds. I am not sure yet but it seems to be worse when the air temperature is colder. Now that it is getting warmer out I will be able to determine if it is consistently less noticeable as we move into spring and then summer here in Minnesota.

Has anybody else been able to establish a definitive correlation between air temperature and the intensity of this vibration? Thanks in advance for your feedback and for hopefully someday sharing a resolution if it is found by anyone.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts