DODGE RAM FORUM banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Did the tape make any difference?
I'm actually going to do it tomorrow as I had to take the truck into the dealer again. I'll take pictures and do a write up and let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
my 2014 Laramie cc has the 2000rpm vibration since I bought new feb. 1 2014. I don't know if there is a fix but mine still has the vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal. it is not present in summer bit shows its face when temp drop down under 55 degrees. you will never get used to it and Chrysler says its the characteristic of the truck. I even have work order saying tech feels vibration but it is the characteristic of the truck....
is there a fix for it yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2014 Laramie cc has the 2000rpm vibration since I bought new feb. 1 2014. I don't know if there is a fix but mine still has the vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal. it is not present in summer bit shows its face when temp drop down under 55 degrees. you will never get used to it and Chrysler says its the characteristic of the truck. I even have work order saying tech feels vibration but it is the characteristic of the truck....
is there a fix for it yet?
This sounds just like my 2013 Ram CC Hemi. I only notice the 2000 rpm vibration when the outside temp is below 55 degrees also. Its very noticeable and aggrivating! I guess i can live with it but i deffinatly wish there was a quick fix for it!

·
Registered
201 Posts
My 2017 has it as well. Same thing only happens when cold as it did not do it on the test drive or first few days I had it. Temperature has dropped to -15 and it started. Not overly annoying but it is still there and seems to come from the left front wheel area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just bought my 2016 2500, with 13000 miles in it. Noticed it the day after I bought it. Also my check engine light just came on. This is after an 8 hours trip back home. Yay...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2013 express with a 6 sp trans. I also have an exhaust manifold issue that the service writer explained was happening on all Ram trucks. He gave me the report from the mechanic and told me one of the bolts is actually broken and I have a leak on both sides. When I called Fiat Chrysler America I was told after she talked to the service writer that I should pay the $423.00 cost to repair since it was not covered under any other recourse. Way to go when a service writer tells FCA how to run their business. I then hung up on her.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
I have the same issue on my 2013 express with a 6 sp trans. I also have an exhaust manifold issue that the service writer explained was happening on all Ram trucks. He gave me the report from the mechanic and told me one of the bolts is actually broken and I have a leak on both sides. When I called Fiat Chrysler America I was told after she talked to the service writer that I should pay the $423.00 cost to repair since it was not covered under any other recourse. Way to go when a service writer tells FCA how to run their business. I then hung up on her.
Have You contacted Ram Cares ?

Here is the home page here on the " Z "
http://www.ramforumz.com/member.php?u=118950

When their page pops up, leave a note in the Visitor Message area ;)

Welcome Back to the Forum :smileup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same here, although I am only noticing mine when towing, between 10 and 14k lbs. depending. Once I get above 65mph I feel it, very noticeable. Definitely the truck, not the trailer. When not towing, I push it up to 85 and feel nada. Any ideas?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a vibration at 2000, but it's not through the pedal or s/wheel!
This FEELS like the gearbox, as I can get out of it by changing gear, by pushing the gas pedal or on the gear buttons on the s/wheel.
It's worse when I have the 5th wheel hooked up. As said in previous posts, 2000rpm is a common cruising condition and the gearbox changes around there often.

I know some over here in the UK have fitted a kit to increase the gearbox pressure but that wasn't to overcome this problem.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
I have a vibration at 2000, but it's not through the pedal or s/wheel!
This FEELS like the gearbox, as I can get out of it by changing gear, by pushing the gas pedal or on the gear buttons on the s/wheel.
It's worse when I have the 5th wheel hooked up. As said in previous posts, 2000rpm is a common cruising condition and the gearbox changes around there often.

I know some over here in the UK have fitted a kit to increase the gearbox pressure but that wasn't to overcome this problem.

Any ideas?
A line pressure booster won't do anything, the transmission will just adapt to it and return to the original pressure it is designed to operate at.

Changing gears puts the engine at a different RPM, so if the vibration is a resonance induced thing then that would make sense as to why it goes away and wouldn't necessarily implicate the transmission.

You aren't describing cylinder deactivation are you? Tow/Haul doesn't disable that, but using the gear range select buttons on the steering wheel does.

·
Registered
41 Posts
A line pressure booster won't do anything, the transmission will just adapt to it and return to the original pressure it is designed to operate at.

Changing gears puts the engine at a different RPM, so if the vibration is a resonance induced thing then that would make sense as to why it goes away and wouldn't necessarily implicate the transmission.

You aren't describing cylinder deactivation are you? Tow/Haul doesn't disable that, but using the gear range select buttons on the steering wheel does.

Para 1, understood, thanks!
Para 2, Yep, I follow that!

Para 3, I know the truck has this, but I would have thought it wouldn't be as obvious as that, or can it be? It happens when in Tow/Haul and generally. Deff worse with the caravan on the back though. I suppose this is due to the weight towing power change?
Is this something I could get resolved at the dealers/garage?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Interesting...I noticed this on day 1 with my 2017 Big Horn. 5.7 Hemi and 8 speed auto.

Honestly just figured its some resonant frequency between parts at 2K RPM. It doesnt seem to matter what gear its in at 2K RPM, Ill feel the vibration through the gas pedal and steering wheel. Pretty sure I can re-create it even in Park while revving the engine to 2K RPM.

Never even though about mentioning it to the dealer because I figured theyd say the exact same thing.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
It could be; looking at the F150 and GM forums, they seem to have vibration issues as well (sounds like they're worse than ours too). Mad Mark, try hitting the gear - button to engage ERS and then hit the gear + button until it gets to 6 (or 8 if you have the 8 speed transmission). If it no longer does it, then your vibration was the MDS. ERS (Electronic Range Select) disables MDS.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Id also be interested to know if anyone that has changed out their exhaust has the vibrations or if they have changed (gotten worse or gotten better).

The fact it seems to be worse when its cold out makes me think its something with some mount stiffening up in conjunction with the resonant frequencies of the engine and/or exhaust. An aftermarket exhaust would most likely change the resonant frequency and if they don't "line up" anymore, the vibration might change (or disappear)

·
Registered
41 Posts
It could be; looking at the F150 and GM forums, they seem to have vibration issues as well (sounds like they're worse than ours too). Mad Mark, try hitting the gear - button to engage ERS and then hit the gear + button until it gets to 6 (or 8 if you have the 8 speed transmission). If it no longer does it, then your vibration was the MDS. ERS (Electronic Range Select) disables MDS.

Thanks!! I'll give that a try next time I take it out for a spin and let you know.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Id also be interested to know if anyone that has changed out their exhaust has the vibrations or if they have changed (gotten worse or gotten better).

The fact it seems to be worse when its cold out makes me think its something with some mount stiffening up in conjunction with the resonant frequencies of the engine and/or exhaust. An aftermarket exhaust would most likely change the resonant frequency and if they don't "line up" anymore, the vibration might change (or disappear)
When I changed out my muffler, didn;t notice any difference.. what fixed it (90%) , for me, was changing tires. Love my Michelin's

·
Registered
808 Posts

I chased vibrations like crazy for almost a year after I bought my truck, turned out it was having 2 different vibration issues that came together on the highway to really confuse things.

First off was I had a vibration from around 1700RPM to about 2300RPM in any gear at any speed, what made it completely go away for me was putting a K&N cold air intake on my truck, I definitely wasn't thinking that would make the vibration go away but it was a nice surprise that it did, leading me to believe that that vibration was a resonance issue.

After that I noticed that I still had a highway vibration but it wasn't as bad as before, I bought a new set of wheels and tires for my truck and bam that went away.

The useless dealer rebalanced my stock wheels and tires 3x and somehow doing that never realized that either a tire was out of balance or one of the wheels was out of round, my truck rides awesome now with no vibrations at all.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Good info, guys.

Ive been more aware of the vibration Im getting and its not as bad as I thought it was, but it is definitely there. Luckily it doesnt look like it would be something drivetrain related (engine or transmission) but most likely something external to that. Ill just keep an eye/ear/foot on it and see if it gets any worse.

Bent wheel would be interesting, I would hope it wasnt abused that much...only had 65 miles on it when I test drove it, and 75 miles on it when I bought it! (the 10 miles were what I put on it during the test drive)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Good info, guys.

Ive been more aware of the vibration Im getting and its not as bad as I thought it was, but it is definitely there. Luckily it doesnt look like it would be something drivetrain related (engine or transmission) but most likely something external to that. Ill just keep an eye/ear/foot on it and see if it gets any worse.

Bent wheel would be interesting, I would hope it wasnt abused that much...only had 65 miles on it when I test drove it, and 75 miles on it when I bought it! (the 10 miles were what I put on it during the test drive)
I bought mine brand new with 10kms on it and never did anything that would cause a bent wheel, a few other people on here have mentioned that they've had tire shops tell them one of more of their wheels was out of round on new trucks that they were chasing vibrations on as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a brand new RAM Big Horn 2019 3.6L 8ZF. In Canada, but Michigan built. From day one, the same issue as described in the very first post in this thread from 2013, and others following. High frequency vibration at about 1700-2200, all gears, feel it in the gas pedal and steering wheel, much more noticeable on the highway (and reallly noticeable after having a v6 rental car on vacation recently). Interesting that it happens with different engines. It's at the dealer's today. At this point I got the "we can't feel a vibration" line.

161 - 180 of 190 Posts