DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new on here. Purchased my 2001 2500 SLT 4x4 Extended cab- 8' bed last summer and now finally getting around to fixing it up.

First things first, REAR END was howling, now its grinding at certain acceleration and deceleration points. I assume I need to replace the rear end. Also I know that the drums are a little messed up. Passenger side drum locked up on me on my 350 mile drive home from where i bought it last summer.

My question is about the interchangeability with these axles.....

2wd-4wd?, year-year? 1500-2500?

I looked around on here for a thread with this information already and couldn't find much info specific to my truck. If this info is already on I apologize and please help me find it.

Thanks in advance.:box2:

Also if anyone has ANY recommendations they would like to pass along to me i would greatly appreciate it. Exhaust, tune up, performance, etc....

·
Registered
63 Posts
you can just rebuild the differential and get new axles...I think 2500 have dana 70 axles..spend a little more and make it bulletroof rather than risk a junkyard one.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's like trying to pin down jello on a hot afternoon. Paying someone to do it is only part of the cost. It's time consuming and it depends on whether you need a new carrier n gears. Bearings and seals will of course be mandatory. Is this a limited slip, will you want one if it's not? It's not unheard of to sink well over a grand into a venture like this. Unless you do it yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks clippedwings. Long story short i have a close family friend who has a large personal garage with a lift and all tools. he has skilled mechanics come there and work for him. Labor will be a lower cost to me than someone handing the truck off to a shop. I am hoping to have him tear into it this weekend and help me decide on what parts i need. does anyone have recommendations as to where i should go to order rear end parts?

·
Registered
63 Posts
good you have a lift and friends that can help...had a buddy that rebuilt rear end on his ford f350 with yukon gear and axle parts....this was probably 5 years ago and has had good luck and he tows and plows with it...like anything else a quality installation is key.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am an idiot. Its an '00 not '01. I have the VIN # right here. does any one know of a good site to plug in the Vin # to get good specs on stock rear end. maybe see what years are interchangeable. Which models had the same rear.

Thanks in advance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts