DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hard time identifying my steering problems. Put my 01 with 250,000 miles in the ditch, enough damage to replace the whole front axle assembly with a used unit from a truck with 90,000. New ball joints, track bar, OEM steering box, front shocks, complete brakes, tires, alignment...reset caster twice. Have had it to three different shops...same result at each "sorry". I needed a new steering box before the accident but it never had the bump steer problem at all or a problem centering. I was told possibly tight ball joints so give it a few miles...2,000 miles later no change. This is still a great truck, I need to figure this out so my wife will drive it again...my dog won't even ride with me anymore! Sorry this is so long...shorter than the ongoing problem though...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Please describe your "bump-steer" problems in more detail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dips and bumps in the road cause the steering wheel to jerk to about 2 o'clock but it does recenter. I remembered the problem existed before I had the ball joints replaced so possibly something else. I found yesterday that the shop that replaced the shocks on the front used a Monroe gas...too light for my truck as I believe the ride is a bit softer than it used to be and the spring travel is greater I think. Maybe a tougher shock? I am also going to check the lower steering column bearing. I did need a new steering box before I put it in the ditch, but it just had loose steering and with the new OEM box I should not have that now though not as bad. Not sure if this is one thing or a couple of related issues. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts