DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2001, Dodge ram 1500 5.9 liter. I just moved to Minnesota so the heater is kind of important to get the heater working. I am getting weak heat. my corolla is hotter inside than the dodge. I have been trying to get it to work better. So far I have replaced the hoses and gotten an new heater core (the old one was leaking) I was a dingus and used the oem hose clamps which I didn't get tight enough down so glycol leaked into the cab and left a nice puddle. I had to pull the dash apart to do it. I have done this several times. I checked my anti freeze level and its topped up now. I can feel the heater core when the glove box is out and it gets hot, almost too hot to touch. My heater blend door motor is toast because glycol got into it, so i manually turned it to the open position. I am getting warm but not hot air. Short of taking the heating unit out as well as the dash I am at a loss as to what to do...

But it gets better... Now I am having electrical issues.

Running lights won't turn off (Happened after I pulled the dash out last time)

Hazards come on instead of left blinker, when lights are off, Hazards freeze when running lights and head lights are on (gradually became an issue, would resolve itself now is permanent)

Headlights randomly turn off, only way to get them back on is to flash the high beams.

I am going to try to get a hold of an FCM if this dodge even has one
I thought it might be the blinker arm and the module that is integral to it.

I am so done here. It is getting to the lower 20s here and I am sick of this truck. I have tried other forums and gotten no wheres. PLZ HALP

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I can feel the heater core when the glove box is out and it gets hot, almost too hot to touch.

If you have air flowing threw it it should produce heat. You may have to hold the blend door from moving while the fan is on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am not sure. I will get some pics up when the light is better. But I have attempted to plug in all the plugs I have found.

The plugs/things I do remember unplugging to remove the dash

The hood lever, the heater control, the cable underneath the cup holder, the 2 cables that are hooked up behind the glove box. These are all plugged in right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did try a new multifunction switch (blinker switch) and all the problems are still there.

I have the heater blend door open and locked however the heat is still weak. I suppose there could be coolant sitting in there which might cause problems

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Sure sounds like a bad ground somewhere, but hard to tell from here.

Are you sure you opened the temp door and not a different door on the heater?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The heater blend door is the one that is directly under the dash on the passengers side right. It has a little motor assembly that hangs off of the housing Least ways that is what youtube told me. I can feel it move like it is under tension. Once at a certain point it is no longer under tension and it stays open or closed depending on which way I turn it. I know it is working (at least some what) because when I turn it the freezing cold air turns to Luke warm air.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how would I go about finding the bad ground? Just unplug everything bit by bit and check for loose/cut/squashed wires?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Is all the air out of the system? Did you drive it for a while to see if it gets up to operating temp?

He claims the heater core is hot to the touch, but only gets luke warm air out of the vents.
That is why I suspect it is an issue with the heater box. But I haven't had any of the truck heater boxes out and am going off of the car design - which I am assuming is really similar.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
The heater blend door is the one that is directly under the dash on the passengers side right. It has a little motor assembly that hangs off of the housing Least ways that is what youtube told me. I can feel it move like it is under tension. Once at a certain point it is no longer under tension and it stays open or closed depending on which way I turn it. I know it is working (at least some what) because when I turn it the freezing cold air turns to Luke warm air.

What happens if you go to recirc? Recirc should close the door from the outside air.
I am not sure on a truck, on cars the door on the passenger right side is the recirculation door and the temp door is more in the middle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts