DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 5.9 Liter 4x4. I am currently replacing the transmission. The replacement comes from either a 99 or 00 Dage Ram 1500 5.9 liter. Everything on the two transmission seems the same except for the Neutral Safety Switch. After some research it appears the transmission currently installed is a late model 2001 or a 2002. The Switch on the current transmission has a 1inch threaded area while the replacement is only 3/4 inch. I do not have the switch from the replacement transmission. I have found the part that will fit online. The problem is that it has a different connector then the one currently installed in the truck. The new part does come with the appropriate connector with the materials needed to splice it in. However the current switch has 5 connectors in the plug. It appears the one for the replacement only has 3. Can this be made to work?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
5 connectors? The neutral start switch on Torqueflites has always been a 3-wire deal, so kinda a mystery there. All I can figure is it may have something to do with the transition to the newer transmissions that were being phased in then. Found a MLPS 5-pronger. Thinking that's what you mean. Why do they do this crap. I don't know if you can wire this in. Functions are more involved than the traditional 3-pronger that was used for 40yrs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly my problem. It seems my RAM is a late year 2001 so has the newer Tranny. I bypassed the neutral safety switch by hose clamping the plunger to the correct position to be able to start. However (and this might be a symptom of the replacement transmission) it does not want to shift out of first until right around 4000 rpms, sometimes i can get it to shift earlier. It also seems the extra wires control not only the reverse lights and gear selector display but also the cruise control. I was able to find an adapter that will let you put a 5 wire A518 46re transmission into a vehicle designed for a 3 wire but haven't been able to find one to go the other way...which is what I need. So at this point it looks like I have no choice but to get another transmission or get the old one fixed. Thank you for the response Gen1dak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts