DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the automatic 5.2 L V8. Just today I was driving and realized my truck would not shift past 3rd gear. My truck runs smoothly and correctly through first, second, and third gear but at times does not want to shift into overdrive. I have a 30 minute drive to school and after stopping twice the truck would run through all four gears, but all the other times whether it was from and stop or after a downshift the truck refused to move into overdrive. The temperature today was roughly -9 degrees while driving to school and the roads were dry. my knowledge on transmissions is limited, so I am asking for any possible input on what could be wrong.

As an added note, my truck in bitterly cold temperatures makes a very loud whistling at roughly 1700-2100 RPM driving or sitting still. It does not do it in warmer temperatures. It is not a whining like a bad steering pump and its not a vacuum leak. I highly doubt these two issues are in relation to one another, but I figured id include it.

Please offer any help possible,
Ryan

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ahhh welcome to the world of dodge transmissions. Does the trans shift fine after it warms up? Do you have any codes? CEL may not be on but there maybe codes in the system. It could be 2 things 1. trans temp sensor 2. it is the connector going to it. Also before hand let the truck warm up fully and check the trans fluid color should be reddish, and between add full mark as well. If it is over it won't shift into overdrive (pressure to high situation) if it is low it won't shift into overdrive (pressure to low situation) These trans are simple 1-3 is all hydro controlled 4th gear is electronic control. Your trans should be the 45re series but some 4 by 4s with the 5.2 got the 46re trans.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input, I checked trans fluid and it is at normal level, I check for codes and underlying codes with my scanner and nothing come up, I allowed the truck to warm up prior to driving and it did not shift any better after it warmed up. I am about to take it home now and will post again after I see how it runs on the way home. I do not know the location of the transmission temp sensor or where it connects so if you know the location of it please let me know so I can check it out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You will need to drop the trans pan it is located on the valve body it should be a separate piece but you need to remove the filter to get to all the bolts. I attached a pic for you. You might as well do a filter and gasket change as well since it will be off. It will be located on the drivers side of the trans as well or you can pin the connector just above the trans pan (has 8 wires going to it) it would be the center one on the harness so you can check for power.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Guess what I learned last week? That the 46re will not shift into OD below -5deg! Read it online somewhere that day while trying to trouble-shoot the same issue with mine. On the way to work it was -22. Way home it was 12, and shifted just fine.
Don't hit the panic button yet!
But just in case for future reference, troll the web and try to download a copy of the ATSG manual for the 46re. Having this on file in your computer is very handy.
Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts