DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm having a problem with my auto trans on my 1500. I believe its a 46RE. I have the 5.9l engine 4 door cab 4x4. This problem started just over a year ago. Every now and then my trans will not shift into drive and overdrive. Usually all I need to do is shut the engine off and restart it and everything works fine again. Yesterday I came home from a job pulling a trailer and I unhooked the trailer and shut the truck off to go in and clean up. When I came out and proceeded to go to town to purchase some needed material my truck would not shift into drive or overdrive again. I tried all my tricks to get it to work and nothing worked. I parked the truck and came out about 3 hours later and tried the truck again and everything worked fine again. The trans fluid is nice and red, and was changed 70,000 mile ago. Now, my trailer wasn't loaded heavy, probably only about 4000 pounds. There are not codes to read so I can't look for the problem that way. I understand there are a few solenoids in the transmission, including the pressure solenoid. Could this be the problem or could it be another problem? My trans has 189,000 miles on it, but was rebuilt at 126,000 miles, at least that's what the dealer told me. I'm using ATF+4 trans fluid since ATF+3 is not available. Any help would be appreciated, this is my work truck and it's a good truck. :4-dontknow: (we only own dodges and jeeps and have done so for the last 35 years)

Thank you!

Ken (chysm)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have very little knowledge with the transmissions but I can offer you what I was told. Yes there is a solenoid that's possibly linked to your problem. There is a transmission shift solenoid and shift sensor right on the valve body that these trucks are known to be a problem and I was told they will affect slow shifts, incorrect and fallout shifts. The solenoid will stick is what i understand. Also there is a accumulator spring for the 3-4 shift if i remember correctly, that breaks and will be a slow death to the overdrive. I had a similar problem with mine and found this spring broke in half. Mine was too late I fear now that i lost my overdrive completely now, But when i replaced the spring it shifted so much better 3-4. Thats all I have for you. I hope someone on here has a lot better info for you, Im very interested to see what comes of your problem. I wonder if the overdrive unit is replaceable all by itself?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts