DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a few questions about my truck! My grandfather has given me this beautiful truck for my 16th and i want to know the upgrades i should look into. This kid at school as a ford v10 and thinks hes all hot stuff :smiledown: I just want to know a few upgrades that may make it possible to defeating this truck. (if its possible)
-Headers? Dual exhaust? K&N cool air intake? Chip?

I mean reasonable price. i dont have the money for a supercharger lol

thanks for ur time, and if u dont care b/c im a kid i understand :p

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 with a 6in lift and 35s, i added a k&n intake, Jet TB spacer,Superflash chip, gibson headers,high flow cat, magnaflow back, spanked a powerstroke, and i pulled on a v10 when i was going to pa,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dude Nice id love to see ur truck! Yeah i have single cab so its pretty quick. I want to get some of those upgrades u mentioned. One question, whats a Jet TD spacer?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
the big 3 cai,exhaust and programmer will get that 5.9 eating ford and s***ing chevys like a good dodge should

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have own both trucks a 99 v10 superduty, and a 02 ram 1/2 5.9. I like the performance out of the ram alot better, but as for towing I thought the v10 did it a little better job at it. As a guy who has own both...I say my hats down to the ram....Better gas milage, and performance. Not to mention you average tow or a little larger on the ram does just fine to..

·
Registered
777 Posts
Impressive...but I have to be the party pooper. I have had the pleasure of a boss that owned both a 2500 5.9 gasser and a superduty with a v-10 powerstroke.
He used both trucks to tow a heavily loaded 40 foot enclosed car trailer. After the ram pooped out two trannies in a 3 month period, he got rid of it.
I can tell you that Superduty SPANKED THE HORNS OFF THAT RAM when it came to towing.
Now you might spank a superduty on the short track with a few choice mods, and I recommend you start with good tuner which isn't the can tuners you can buy off ebay. Then you'll need some gears and the other mods...
and hope the superduty you face off hasn't got any mods.

And my truck, cowers at the sight of any vehicle with more that 200 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque. It can pull my old v bottom ok, but very little else. Running with the OD off kills the mileage with a small increase in power. Drag race? I can hardly spin the tires on WET pavement. Hardly impressive, very unpredictable and unsafe.
Hey I love my truck, and it's the twenty someteenth mopar I've owned. But it's more like a "clyde" than a clydesdale.
Good luck with your big race.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the big 3 cai,exhaust and programmer will get that 5.9 eating ford and s***ing chevys like a good dodge should
Thanks for the upgrade suggestions :smileup: i will be looking into those! Also just to tell everyone for kicks n giggles his v10 sounds like a 4 cylinder Honda Civic RICER! Im not sure what he has but the thing sounds like a rice burner. With fart cannon single exhaust I literally ROFL'd when he drove by... :doh:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Impressive...but I have to be the party pooper. I have had the pleasure of a boss that owned both a 2500 5.9 gasser and a superduty with a v-10 powerstroke.
He used both trucks to tow a heavily loaded 40 foot enclosed car trailer. After the ram pooped out two trannies in a 3 month period, he got rid of it.
I can tell you that Superduty SPANKED THE HORNS OFF THAT RAM when it came to towing.
Now you might spank a superduty on the short track with a few choice mods, and I recommend you start with good tuner which isn't the can tuners you can buy off ebay. Then you'll need some gears and the other mods...

And my truck, cowers at the sight of any vehicle with more that 200 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque. It can pull my old v bottom ok, but very little else. Running with the OD off kills the mileage with a small increase in power. Drag race? I can can spin the tires on WET pavement. Hardly impressive, very unpredictable and unsafe.
Hey I love my truck, and it's the twenty someteenth mopar I've owned. But it's more like a "clyde" than a clydesdale.
Thanks for the info! I have a little bit b4 the high school drags come up but until then i need to get all the info i need and install my parts so i can eat his Ford v10 alive :D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

And my truck, cowers at the sight of any vehicle with more that 200 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque. It can pull my old v bottom ok, but very little else. Running with the OD off kills the mileage with a small increase in power. Drag race? I can hardly spin the tires on WET pavement. Hardly impressive, very unpredictable and unsafe.
Do you mean the v10 or the powerstroke two diff. things and a 5.9 can def beat a v10triton if the 5.9 is modded a lil bit

·
Registered
777 Posts
Do you mean the v10 or the powerstroke two diff. things and a 5.9 can def beat a v10triton if the 5.9 is modded a lil bit
hmmmm....stares out the window, giving his truck an evil eye. Truck notices and starts spitting out dark fluid from underneath.

Nope gents..not this mans' 5.9 ram.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
What year is the V10 you are trying to beat? My brother drives a 2006 single cab long bed F250 Superduty with the V10 and 4.10 rearend and his truck is pretty damn fast off of the line. We occasionally race each other and his truck stays fairly close off of the line, but when we get to speed I can spank him on the top end. 2005–present Ford F-Series Super Duty, 3-valve SOHC, 362 hp (270 kW) and 457 lb·ft (620 N·m). Prior to 2005 the V10s were a 2 valve and put out 305 hp and 420 torque. The V10 will tow the shit out of just about anything. If it is a 2005 or newer v10 he will probably spank you. I mean its got roughly 120 more horsepower and a ton more torque. Maybe you get lucky and the ford driver has an extremely slow reaction time?

......Wait a second is your truck the 5.9 / 360 Gasser or the 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel? If it is the Cummins disregard my previous statement. I have a friend with a 2001 5.9 cummins and his truck will go! the 360 gasser is not known to be that quick unless you mod the hell out of it.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
O yea forgot to ask if its the gas or cummins as well heres my pecking order speed wise assuming all weigh same amount and similar gearings 5.9cummins>powerjoke>slightly modded 5.9magnum>v10triton>5.9magnum thats how I see it

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Ha Ha! Modded diesels will outperform the affordable mods to the gassers. My dad's '02 7.3 Powerstroke with straight pipe exhaust and programmer will fly! The programmers just do so much more on the torbo diesels! Now his '10 SS Camaro with only flowmaster super 44 exhaust will smoke most trucks out there (except for chefred's), but it ways probably half as much.
Put a supercharger on that 360 and you may have something!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ha Ha! Modded diesels will outperform the affordable mods to the gassers. My dad's '02 7.3 Powerstroke with straight pipe exhaust and programmer will fly! The programmers just do so much more on the torbo diesels! Now his '10 SS Camaro with only flowmaster super 44 exhaust will smoke most trucks out there (except for chefred's), but it ways probably half as much.
I have a 360 gasser and he has a hmmm i wanna say he has like a 2001- 2002 ford v10. But im gonna mod mine i mean hes got so much weight on me. Those big fat 35 inch tries n all full cabin 4dr. I got a single cab 360. i think with a few mods it will be a good race.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a CAI and superchips flashpaq with straight pipe exhaust and i beat a 6.0 powerstroke with a cold air filter banks chip on 1 and a stack

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yeah the older 2 valve don't have quite the power of the new ones. Cai headers and flowmaters should help you pump out some more ponies. Let us know how the race goes. Before my dodge I had a ford f350 4 door duely. It was like driving a tank. Very happy to have my ram! Much much faster and more reliable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah the older 2 valve don't have quite the power of the new ones. Cai headers and flowmaters should help you pump out some more ponies. Let us know how the race goes. Before my dodge I had a ford f350 4 door duely. It was like driving a tank. Very happy to have my ram! Much much faster and more reliable.
Ok Sweet! I will let everyone know how it goes plus people are putting money on the race already, all against me, then again the kids at my school are dumb haha

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

well duh diesel will win but the v10 aint diesel hence my little chart thingy....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts