DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to start off by saying I did this over the course of a few nights after the kids went to bed, so not as much time as I would like. I have also never carpeted a box before, last one I did for the trunk of my car I did in spray in bed liner, so take it easy on the carpeting job. That being said, here is what I came up with.

I removed the center seat and used the seat mounting brackets to bolt the box in place. So the first thing to do was to remove the center seat and get the dimensions for the mounting holes.



Next I drew up an idea of what I wanted and cut out the pieces and threw it together so I could put it in and see how it looked. I wanted it to have the sub firing downward so that it is protected and out of the way. I also wanted it to replace the lower portion of the seat and still use the back part of the seat on top of it since I like using the storage compartment and as an armrest.






When I was happy with how it fit and everything I did the final assembly. Since I only had a little bit of time each night I wanted to get it at least glued together so it could cure over the next couple of days while I finished it. I have heard that some sealants can release vapors harmful to the speakers surround while it cures, and while I don't know the truth in this, no reason to take a chance. Here it is all glued and screwed. I also added some polyfil to the inside of the box at this time. I think I went a little overboard on the screws though.






Next I started wrapping the box in a kind of velvet material. Unfortunately It was the closest color I could find. The rear seat brackets are at a slight angle going upwards towards the front so I knew I would have a second layer of MDF on the front brackets, so I used this as the place to put my seam. I really had no idea what I was doing with covering this box. And on one side I cut the fabric too close. This is the only part of the box I am not really happy with, but was at a loss for how to do it better. I will probably redo it soon since it isn't perfect. You can also see one set of bolts. I drilled a hole and sealed them in with Liquid Nail from the inside. So when I tighten the nut on it it should theoretically keep it sealed. For the piece for the front bracket I used tee nuts and screwed the bolts up into them.


 
  • Like
Reactions: age525

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here is the finished unloaded box.







Here it is ready to be installed.




And here are some of it installed.







If you have any questions feel free to ask. It went pretty smoothly and only really had one issue. I just centered the sub up between the 4 bolt holes. however, there are 6 bolts on the seat. The back bracket has 2 seats of bolts on each side and my method of centering the sub didn't take into account the additional size of these brackets. I had to cut off about 1 square inch of inside on the bracket to clear the subwoofer. Not too big of a deal, but it was an issue I had. I also added some rubber washers when I mounted it so I didn't have all of the vibrations going to the seats. In the end I am really happy how it turned out.

Victor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are kind of weird dimensions since the top and back slant. But going off of memory is is 1.325969 cu ft before the subwoofer's displacement. The box is 15" total in width, the bottom is 22" long, the top is 24" long, the front is 10" tall and the back is 9" but slanting back at a 75 degree angle. I also added a strip of 3/4" mdf where it mounts to the front mounting holes. This brought the angle to where when I used the existing arm rest it was level. If you have any other questions I will be more than happy to try to answer them.

Victor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm currently running a 12" Type R in it with a old Kicker KX1200.1 pushing it and am pretty happy with it. I am drawing up a new one though that will be built to better suit the Type R vs. the cheap Pioneer I made this box originally for. It will also be ported and carpeted better to match the interior better.

Victor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not use any software. Just some measurements, sub specifications and lots of math. I wanted to be able to still use the arm rest part so there were certain measurements I had to use and just played with others until the volume was what the Pioneer sub wanted.

Victor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks good. Make sure to post some pictures after its all done before installation and after.

Victor
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top