DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
So, I have 2 problems with my 2002 4.7L 2wd Ram.

1. It is smoking a lot. For the first 10 minutes after I turn the truck on from cold, it blows lots of thick white smoke from the tailpipe, then goes to normal.

2. It's idling rough, sometimes it will turn on first try and run fairly smooth, but others I have to press the gas and keep the rpm's up for it not to stall.

Sometimes it tries to stall when I give it gas after stopping at a light or if I turn the wheel hard and the power steering pump squeaks.

I left the truck sitting around for several months with little driving.
I replaced the radiator yesterday.

My assumptions: I have bad head gaskets, so coolant is getting into the exhaust
. maybe bad compression from the bad gaskets is not allowing the full power to my belts for the power steering? Or maybe it's just a bad power steering pump?

Anyone have some ideas? Maybe something I should check before I try to get the gaskets replaced?
Thanks !
Mike

·
Registered
678 Posts
Not that I'm encouraging huffing exhaust fumes since they're obviously not good for you, but does your exhaust smell sweet/ coolant-ish when your truck is throwing the thick white smoke?

4.7L's are notorious for having condensation in the oil cap/ crank case, but how does your oil cap and oil dipstick look? This may not help as my truck generally has yellow emulsified oil on the cap (though this smells like oil, not sweet coolant), but if you're aware of your truck's 'normal', perhaps this would help.

Good luck, I wish you the best, sir!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not really sure is it's sweet, maybe a little, but there's a lot of white smoke.And the dipstick is clean, but there is a dried white-ish yellow foamy crust inside the cap.
Any cheaper options to consider?

Also, I watched a video of a guy replacing the head gaskets, and he had 2 special tools (one for the harmonic balancer and another for the timing) that he used for this job. Is this something I can do without these special tools?
I assume having it done at a shop is 1000$+?
And how bad is it to drive around like this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts