DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Quad Cab Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with a 4.7 V8. It has 107,000 miles. I purchased it in 2007 with only 32,000 miles. I have taken great care of it and never had any issues. Three weeks ago it began to overheat so I pulled over. Towed home and found antifreeze very low. Filled it up and drove it and same issue. Started to overheat and found antifreeze low. Took to shop and they did test and found right head gasket bad. They have fixed it for $2,700 only to call me and say the block now has a crack and will not hold antifreeze at all.
They say to put on a new/rebuilt block would be over $2,000 more. So they are recommending a new Jasper engine at $6,000.
My question is should they not have been able to test for a cracked block originally before they fixed the head gasket? If they had found the full issue I would not have spent any money fixing it. Now I don't know what my best option is.
I spent $1500 last month putting on new upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rod ends and hub bearings which I don't feel should have worn out at this stage just like the head and block is way to early in the truck life.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The oil passages in the heads of the 4.7 are on the small side which can lead to sludging issues if the oil isn't changed religiously. I don't see why you couldn't swap a salvaged 4.7 in there. It would probably be a lot cheaper, and it couldn't be too hard to find.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Dood, that is one hell of a pickle! I really feel bad for you. For what they want you to put in it, you could get a pretty good later model 3rd gen.
I would ask them to give you $2000 credit if you have them put the Jasper engine in. This is kinda like being in a hand of poker where you've got too much in the pot to just fold, but not a good enough hand to keep playing.
Yeah, see if you can work a deal with them for the labor already done. Wow, that's a tough one.
Keep us updated, Eric.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Often the way to find leaks is to pressure test the cooling system. This may be how the found the bad head gasket or they may have been able to tell by the smell coming out the tail pipe. Its often hard to tell what is leaking where. After they fixed the head gasket and stopped that from leaking they probably found the crack in the block. I'm not saying what they did is right or wrong but I can understand it.

As far as the block cracking. I'm not sure if that is common on the 4.7 or not. Two things might have happened. A weak block or more likely, it got really hot and cracked from low antifreeze.

I know you have dumped a bunch of money in it but it might not be worth fixing.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
op, that is low mileage for a 4.7 engine to fail. it is what is. i would check all options on engine replacement, from a junk yard to the jasper. depends on the condition of the rest of the truck as to what you might want to do. i would be asking the mechanic why you should pay the total bill when the repair did not fix the engine. imho, he should be splitting the cost or not charging labor on engine replacement, something. at lest he didn't take your money and let you drive out only to get stuck a couple miles away.

·
Registered
939 Posts
So the shop charged $2700 to replace the head gasket, and then say the block was bad? You already paid for an engine replacement from them! Agree with Hunter as far as some culpability on their part. Find another shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took my truck to another shop for a second opinion. They found that the first shop missed putting a plug into the timing belt cover right behind the water pump. So all the antifreeze they poured into the radiator drained right into my oil reservoir. This lead them to believe that my block was cracked and recommended a new engine. All over a three cent plug the tech failed to install. The first shop now will not concede a refund is necessary so I am disputing the charge with my credit card company. This is a shop to avoid at all costs!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thank you very much for the follow-up! Glad you got the second-opinion.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
I took my truck to another shop for a second opinion. They found that the first shop missed putting a plug into the timing belt cover right behind the water pump. So all the antifreeze they poured into the radiator drained right into my oil reservoir. This lead them to believe that my block was cracked and recommended a new engine. All over a three cent plug the tech failed to install. The first shop now will not concede a refund is necessary so I am disputing the charge with my credit card company. This is a shop to avoid at all costs!!!
Or did he? Hmmmm, kinda makes you wonder...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Checkout S and K Engines. Their long block is around $2500, fully refurbished with all the upgraded improvements in it. They pre-test it for leaks and oil pressure and flow before they ship it. My mechanic usually uses Jasper but was so impressed by my motor that he is using S and K now. Since you already have new heads maybe they would sell you a short block. They have videos on their site that shows what they do and how they do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts