DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had the truck sitting for about a year after the alternator went out and just never got around to replacing it. But decided I wanted to start fixing it up again the other day so did some wheel hubs, new battery new alternator and about to start on dash and interior after but ran I to a problem. With two different good alternators when I turn the truck on it starts a really rough idle with multiple dash lights coming on. Even things I don’t have like 4x4. So I grabbed the volt meter to check and there was 30v to the battery! I’ve never seen one that high so i immediately shut it off.

At first I thought maybe it was the voltage regulator for the alt being bad but tried second and same thing then turns out dodge intergrated them to the pcm. So I’m leaning towards a bad pcm. I’ve already ordered one and it will be programmed but I’m curious if anyone’s ever seen voltage that high? and I’ve checked grounds they are good I actually am going to install 1/0 gauge wiring to all candles and grounds after I fix this anyways. So any insight is appreciated thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,454 Posts
Thats high. No have never seen that. Hope it didn't fry any of the modules.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope not didn’t run long and I’m getting the new pcm hopefully delivered by this next week.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The PCM does most of the power regulation in today vehicles. Not like the days gone by when the voltage regulator was a little box on the firewall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The PCM does most of the power regulation in today vehicles. Not like the days gone by when the voltage regulator was a little box on the firewall.
I actually considered just adding a external regulator but I decided to just spend the extra little money and do it correctly. That way in case I ever decide to sell or anything it won’t be a issue. I doubt I ever will but never know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it’s not the pcm or the alternator I replaced it and it did same thing. I also took serpentine belt on to test and still ended up with 25v to the battery. I’m not sure what else could be causing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts