DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2.5-3 inches of torsion key lift on the front of my 1500 off road package. I added a bit of lift in the back at the shackles as well, all to clear the Goodyear DuraTracs I wanted to run. I use Bilstein 5100s on my '95 2500 and really liked them. They make 4600s front and rear for the 2003 1500 4x4, but only the rear has 5100s listed. I bought shock extensions and kept my worn stock off road shocks for the front and put 5100s on the rear.
However, a person can go to the Bilstein catalog for chassis builders and find shocks spec'd by size. I measured up my stock setup and found the 5100s in a length that would work, but the lower eye/bushing combo would not fit the stock bolts. This was likely the reason no 5100s are spec'd for the torsion bar front suspensions, not enough demand to make a special run with the larger eye required.
My solution was to have my machinist friend turn me some bushing from T6 treated aluminum barstock. I took the front end apart for wheel bearings and ball joints, set my new shocks.
2020-02-17_16-05-43_827.jpg

Here are the shocks....
2020-02-17_18-13-37_621.jpg

These are the bushings.....
2020-02-17_18-13-25_874.jpg

.....and installed..........
2020-02-17_18-39-07_885.jpg

I've run these a bit after install, they work very well. I like the 5100s, they made my 3/4 ton feel a lot more sure footed. I run 275/70-18 10 ply DuraTracs on both trucks, a pretty heavy tire I guess, but the shocks handle very well pavement or not. I spend a lot of time off road, not usually just for fun, but our Canadian property is very remote, and work roads in the Permian, at least where I am are absolute s**t, full of craters and busted up. Timken made those bearings, good price, cheaper by far through RockAuto than the Chinese junk NAPA wanted to sell me, but I felt the need to put a bit of vacuum hose on the ABS wire as a shield, as it bends pretty hard around the knuckle. Proforged ball joints, seem pretty solid, we'll see.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Can the ride height adjustment feature be used like this? What are you running in the rear? Solid bushings noisy? Would your buddy make more? Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ride adjustment, if I understand you correctly, that is what I used, different torsion keys to lift front.
I used the 5100s Bilstein makes to fit the rear.
No noise that I'm aware of, that inside diameter is pretty snug, but I would check it against the bolts you plan to use.
Bilstein_bush.jpg
Making more, I doubt it, he's buried. Here is a sketch I made, you can take to your machinist. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts