DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my truck when it warms up it has a ticking noise I have replaced everything you can imagine exhaust manifold gaskets lifters rocker arms everything with the timing and and the oil pump

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do the 4.7L have the MDS system? Not sure if that is the case but they are problems from what I read.

Maybe do a compression test to find if a cylinder has dropped compression, in some cases I have seen the valve seat drop and start a slight tick and end up breaking it into little pieces and destroy a very good engine, just a thought.

My wife's 300 with the 5.7 hemi was like that ( the way we got it ) I am rebuilding another engine to fix the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do the 4.7L have the MDS system? Not sure if that is the case but they are problems from what I read.

Maybe do a compression test to find if a cylinder has dropped compression, in some cases I have seen the valve seat drop and start a slight tick and end up breaking it into little pieces and destroy a very good engine, just a thought.

My wife's 300 with the 5.7 hemi was like that ( the way we got it ) I am rebuilding another engine to fix the problem.

I have the 4.7l and it only happens when it gets warm and then it is constant

·
Registered
8 Posts
After it warms up and ticking take the accessory belt off quickly and remove it and start it just for a few seconds and see if the ticking stops. If still ticking then it is in the engine ( at least it is a starting point to narrow the problem down )

Oil in the 4.7l was a issue also for sludging up and causing problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My older brother swears up and down that is a hydraulic lifter or a rocker arm or a broken valve spring but I have replaced all of that but not the valve springs you would think that it would stop making the noise after it warms up but this does when it warms up like when the oil gets hot

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was right after I changed all those parts and I took it for a test drive and I had to get down hard on it because I pulled out in front of someone and I did not want to get hit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And I started to hear the noise right after I got back from the test drive and stopped in front of front of friends house and told him no more ticking and just a went to start it to leave his house I heard it then

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You should hook a mechanical oil pressure gauge up , to see what the pressure really is ? Maybe it’s your oil pick up screen in the sump that clogged or gummed up with sludge, you got on it to save yourself and others , thus starving engine of oil at sustained high rpm ? Or not

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Passenger side and to the rear but it is loud and can hear it best under the truck at the bell housing I have a stethoscope and the noise is loudest at the bell housing
You should hook a mechanical oil pressure gauge up , to see what the pressure really is ? Maybe it’s your oil pick up screen in the sump that clogged or gummed up with sludge, you got on it to save yourself and others , thus starving engine of oil at sustained high rpm ? Or not

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Passenger side and to the rear but it is loud and can hear it best under the truck at the bell housing I have a stethoscope and the noise is loudest at the bell housing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts