DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. So i blew the motor in my 2003 2500 5.7, with only 90k miles! And I got a good deal on a 2005 hemi motor with super low miles. I plan on doing the swap this weekend. Any body done this before? Any mounting / wiring / general issues? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
You don't have to change anything except for plugging up the EGR (03 doesn't have EGR). Drop it in and hook up your original sensors. 2005 was different in the harnesses, but the engine and trans won't know the difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i was planning on plugging the EGR hole on the block. The only other difference i noticed was the oil filter mount. Looks like it might interfere with the cross member below the engine? Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
The EGR port in your passenger side head will be blocked by the '03 exhaust manifold that doesn't have the hole for it. Also, reuse the '03 intake manifold to have the other side of the EGR blocked off. (no hole there either) There shouldn't be any difference on the oil filter mount between the two engines.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just finished the motor swap. Theres so much room in the cab it made it super easy. The oil filter mount was different. Not sure if the motor was out of an LX? On my 03 the oil filter mount was sort of "L" shaped and it came down from the block and curved towards the front of the truck. On the 05 motor the oil filter just came straight down and would have hit my cross member. I also went ahead and finally did my heater core. Mine started leaking about 6 months ago and i just bypassed it untill i had the time. Replacing the heater core was harder than replacing the whole engine!

·
Registered
4 Posts
knuckles, The motor that you put into your truck did it have MDS or not? If so what all did you have to end up changing to get it to work. I have the same year truck and for some reason it is hard to find one with decent mileage. 2005 and newer are plentiful with decent miles.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
knuckles, The motor that you put into your truck did it have MDS or not? If so what all did you have to end up changing to get it to work. I have the same year truck and for some reason it is hard to find one with decent mileage. 2005 and newer are plentiful with decent miles.
Are you asking (in a 5yr old thread LMAO) how to get MDS working in a truck that didn't have it originally?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i dont want to get mds working. I dont have mds but need another motor. I had a shop replace it and it blew. Oil pressure dropped and started knocking. Only motors plentiful are mds motors. I dont know what all has to be changed to get it to work.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
189 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
189 Posts
check out my post "ReMan engine for 2004" as well GTYankee had other great suggestions as well.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Are you asking (in a 5yr old thread LMAO) how to get MDS working in a truck that didn't have it originally?
yes sir. Cant find anything with a google search and for some reason the junkyards and dealer cant tell me anything.
i dont want to get mds working. I dont have mds but need another motor. I had a shop replace it and it blew. Oil pressure dropped and started knocking. Only motors plentiful are mds motors. I dont know what all has to be changed to get it to work.
LOL...ok so first you say yes then no. Alright, if you find an MDS engine, you can install it and it will run just fine as long as you leave the solenoids in. Default setting is normal all 8 cyl operation. Since your PCM can't run it and there won't be a harness to them anyway, they will never come out of default mode. If it really bothers you, you would need to yank the heads, replace the lifters, pull the solenoids and plug the holes. Recommend you use your 03 intake manifold since your 03 doesn't have EGR (also need to plug the port on the pass side cyl head). Keep in mind this strictly for truck engines. If you find a car version there are quite a few other things that need to change as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL...ok so first you say yes then no. Alright, if you find an MDS engine, you can install it and it will run just fine as long as you leave the solenoids in. Default setting is normal all 8 cyl operation. Since your PCM can't run it and there won't be a harness to them anyway, they will never come out of default mode. If it really bothers you, you would need to yank the heads, replace the lifters, pull the solenoids and plug the holes. Recommend you use your 03 intake manifold since your 03 doesn't have EGR (also need to plug the port on the pass side cyl head). Keep in mind this strictly for truck engines. If you find a car version there are quite a few other things that need to change as well.

Thanks for the info. I believe im going to try it out. The place i got my motor from is going to warranty it out for me. They will upgrade me to the 05 and newer motor. They didnt have another 03 and are having trouble finding one within a close distance.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Better if they can get you an 05 truck engine (or any 2500 engine), no MDS and all you'll have to do is cap the EGR. MDS truck engines started in 06 1500's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts