DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pampered truck that is using oil. Doses not appear to be burning it, but was a quart low only after a 1,000 miles since the last oil change. I used Mobil 1 5w-30 in it. Any ideas what going on with it? Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me rephrase my question. Does any body else have a truck that uses/burns oil? I have not noticed any smoke or leaks on the drive way. Does not seem to have any power loss, and I know I put 7 quarts in when I changed the oil the last time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Does not sound like your loosing oil from the engine so it must be "using" the oil. This could be an intake gasket, PVC valve, valve guide, head gasket.. any number of things.. looks like your in for a trip to the dealership

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Keep in mind if you filled the engine with oil, then checked it and it was at the "full" mark, then when you start the truck the oil filter fills with oil and holds ~ 1/2 a qt, so you right off the bat could be down half way. Over 1,000 miles it is not abnormal to "use" 1/2 qt. Even 1 qt in 1,000 miles is not crazy...it's a bit on the steep side but somewhat reasonable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess when it gets warmer I'll pull the plugs and see if I have any abnormal burn on them, and check the easy stuff like the PCV valve. Maybe put some Sea Foam in it before the next oil change to clean it up. I drive 5 miles to and from work so the short trips probably does not help.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG I think I found the reason for my usage. The hose that attaches to the oil fill container came loose (looked like it was still connected) and spilled onto the intake manifold. It never reached the ground and did not smoke. I'll re-post in a couple of weeks to let you know for sure. It's kind of embarrassing but glad it was nothing serious.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
OMG I think I found the reason for my usage. The hose that attaches to the oil fill container came loose (looked like it was still connected) and spilled onto the intake manifold. It never reached the ground and did not smoke. I'll re-post in a couple of weeks to let you know for sure. It's kind of embarrassing but glad it was nothing serious.
Good thing you found it! Hope that fixed your problem!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
hope that fixes your issue, my truck burns a bit of oil too... using too much is better than none haha thats my motto

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back from a 400 mile trip. Half way through I check the hose and it almost was off again. Fixed the problem for a $1.50 hose clamp. Oil level was fine for the last 1000 miles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That sounds like you found the problem. I know when you switch from reg oil to full synthetic the truck seems to gobble up a quart or so the first oil change. Not sure if that's the case with you or not on top of the disconnected hose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts