DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently ran into an issue with the rear diff, pinion seal started leaking and whining/hum sound began shortly after. Now its quite loud, replaced rear pinion seal and pinion bearing to see if a quick fix would do it but no luck.
Opened it up and found some chipped gears and way too much backlash play that we couldn't adjust.

9.25 diff, 3.92 gears, everything i am finding is around 750 an axle except Durangos are about 300. Question is, can you directly swap a Durango/dakota or another vehicle axle as long as it is a 9.25 with same gear ratio and wheel bolt pattern?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not unless you're staying within the same platform. The 04-09 Durangos used coil springs in the back; earlier ones have a very different width with very different spring perch spacing. I mean, these vehicles are different sizes, sooo.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soo how do you know which rearend is in other trucks without tearing apart the rear end? I know how to tell a 9.25 but the 3.92 vs 3.55

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Look for a tag on one of the bolts, or some models listed the equipment on the glove box door years ago or if you have the vin you can run that and tell.

If all else fails, if it is off of the ground and can be spun you can turn the pinion and count how many turns to get one wheel revolution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts