DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey i have a 2004 ram 1500 4.7 5-speed how much axle shaft in and out play is acceptable, it knocks nice over speed bumps and rail road crossing, had it up but was raining and had a little play , but i will jack up again and check it when its nice out. i am bringing in to get worked on, the classic 4.7 cold start tick i have a GWC warranty i got from small dealer ship so i want to get everything done at once any help is appreciated thanks in advance and i dont think its u joints no vibration and no play i might just change them to ones with grease zerks anyway. also my pinion seal had a small leak but not bad but i never let fluid go down and always check it i was thinking that might be it , but shocks are new and i inspected leafs u bolts all that. i drove in a parking lot and put it in neutral and swerved back and forth and it knocks back and forth when i swerved, i dont remember it ever making this noise . i love my truck i just want to get everything fixed before my warranty runs out in 30k, any one have any comments? thanks alot

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
havent taken a look at the rears yet but if it is like the fronts, a nut holds the axle shaft tight to you hub/wheel bearing, In the case of the front there should be no play... lift it up and wiggle your wheel back and forth, if theres play in it than its probably a wheel bearing. the front will clunk when there is play and they are worn out, they will also hum hard to hear humming if its on the back though... but like I said I havent really taken a look at the rear set up of my truck as the brakes were done just before i got it, and so far all its needed was front end parts so i could be wrong

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are talking about how much the axle shafts can move in and out, not sure what it is with the stock differential but with a true trak maybe .015 inches total.

If you are talking about the pinion moving in an out, that would be zero in and out movement, it should be preloaded on the bearings. and if it's loose the pinion seal is likely to leak.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
It has to be the pinion, I doubt its his axle, that doesnt happen very often. I am guessing you have a bearing out, and if thats the case get it fixed ASAP, I had a yellow 05 sport 4x4 and one of mine in the front went out while I was on the highway, to this day I have no IDEA how, but the wheel/hub very nearly came apart. Lukily I felt it pulling right and stopped, when I did, it looked like I busted a ball joint, my wheel was cambered/toed out about 25 degrees (visually noticeable) and the tire was nearly shredded. Not thinking about it, I only fixed the one, and then about 3 weeks later, it did it again on the other side.

The implied task there is that you make sure whatever axle its on, do them both! In my experience, if one goes, the other follows soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well my driveshaft is on the truck there isnt play there at the pinion its the shafts going in to axle it only has a little play but cant really tell because the caliper is holding it from going in and out any more when in the air i really pulled on wheel back and forth and only felt a little play. when i go into a driveway its like a clunks back and forth as each side goes up. if anyone is familiar with fords my dads ranger with drums in the rear makes the same noise going in the driveway and its like there is play in the crossbolt in the diff and the axle shafts slide in and out a little bit when he goes over somthing it goes in and out. mine sounds the same but i have a disc in the rear so i figured it wouldnt have play like that with the calipers holding it. and my friend said the dodges are the same pull crossbolt out and 2 c clips and the shafts just slide out, but i am unsure if the play i have is normal i dont think it should be knocking around. and its not all the time some driveways, somtimes on the rail crossings, some curvy roads, but others it wont make a sound and is fine at 75 on the highway no vibrations or nothing. with the 35s there is road noise but i figured that would really make a bad wheel bearing apparent with these tires on here. i am very mechanically inclined i do all my work on all my other vehicles i just have the warranty and i am going to get all this done i geuss i will tell them about pinion seal and make sure they check it if its bearings i will do them my self. thanks alot if anyone has any more answers that would be great. thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.