DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just recently picked up my 2004 ram laramie 1500 4x4. The other day i was playing with the controls above the rear view mirror which show your mpg,direction your going in and outside temperature and noticed that under my MPG (11.5) it says ECON. My girlfriends pilot has a button where you can actually turn the economy setting on and off. My truck didnt come with a manual and i searched with no luck. I was skeptical the first week i had the truck thinking i had some sort of tranny issue cuz the truck would just keep shifting to a higher gear at very low rpms without much gas. I asked my mechanic what he thought and asked me if the truck has an economy button as thats what my symptoms sounded like... So long story short i see under my MPG it says ECON is there a way to turn it on and off?? thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey guys i just recently picked up my 2004 ram laramie 1500 4x4. The other day i was playing with the controls above the rear view mirror which show your mpg,direction your going in and outside temperature and noticed that under my MPG (11.5) it says ECON. My girlfriends pilot has a button where you can actually turn the economy setting on and off. My truck didnt come with a manual and i searched with no luck. I was skeptical the first week i had the truck thinking i had some sort of tranny issue cuz the truck would just keep shifting to a higher gear at very low rpms without much gas. I asked my mechanic what he thought and asked me if the truck has an economy button as thats what my symptoms sounded like... So long story short i see under my MPG it says ECON is there a way to turn it on and off?? thanks
There is no economy setting. The term you are seeing is describing "Average fuel economy". Wish it had an economy setting with gas approaching $4.00 per gallon here in the Midwest. My 03' averages 13-15 MPG.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh ok, thanks for the reply ! I drive all city and am getting 11.5 truck also came with an airaid intake,poweraid tbs and gibson exhaust. Idk if that helps or makes it worse lol i baby the truck too

·
Registered
60 Posts
oh ok, thanks for the reply ! I drive all city and am getting 11.5 truck also came with an airaid intake,poweraid tbs and gibson exhaust. Idk if that helps or makes it worse lol i baby the truck too
No problem. I suffer from the dreaded "Acceleratus Maximus" syndrome. These things just weren't built for economy.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I was skeptical the first week i had the truck thinking i had some sort of tranny issue cuz the truck would just keep shifting to a higher gear at very low rpms without much gas. I asked my mechanic what he thought and asked me if the truck has an economy button as thats what my symptoms sounded like... So long story short i see under my MPG it says ECON is there a way to turn it on and off?? thanks
Not to change the topic but when you say that it shifts up to a higher gear at low RPM is this while accelerating or after you have accelerated up to speed and start crusing?
The reason why I ask is because my truck feels like the torque converter locks up early. If I accelerate up to speed (45mph) and then let up on the gas to maintain speed it feels like the torqu converter locks up and the rpm drop to about 1600. It does it pretty soon after letting up on the gas, within 1-2 seconds of letting up. I really started noticing this after I got my exhaust installed. The exhaust tone changes too, it goes from a loud(er) rumble to a very low mellow tone, almost sounds stock but a little deeper tone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep same issue... i just bought my 2004 and it came with a 12month/12000 mile power train warranty. i think i need to have it checked out

·
Registered
747 Posts
A friend of mine said that his stock Hemi ram did the same thing. He said that he was told that it's normal. It just seems weird.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i paid more attention today when driving my truck and its exactly what you described! i accelerate to about 40-45 mph and once i hit that its like the truck shifts into the highest gear and feels like a power loss possibly? i also have an exhaust and its like it goes from screaming to very quiet almost like stock just like you said.. id love some more people to chime in on this issue.

·
Registered
747 Posts
In for more info and thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys whats going on , I have an 04 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 as well, I have the same situation with my truck, which is considered per the dealer normal.. I dont want to sound crazy however I believe they drop to 4 cyl under no load while crusing..Does this make sense to anyone or am I dead wrong?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
They did not start the MDS for the Hemi's until 2006. Your truck does not have the 4 Cyl deactivation mode.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I owned a 2005 4.7 Dodge Ram just last year before I traded up to my 09 Hemi. They have the same transmissions so I think I know what your talking about and it is normal. When you get up to about 40-45 MPH that is the perfect cruising speed for those engines and they like to drop into Overdrive and get the RPMs as low as possible. So whenever you want to accelerate fast or press on the pedal past a certain point it will shift to give you the power of a lower gear until you let off the gas again. If you don't like the very low RPM's you can run it around in Tow/Haul mode all the time but it will kill your MPG's.

I also had a fairly loud exhaust on that truck as well and it would go from loud to a nice low rumble when this happens. As I said before...completely normal, it was just an attempt to get better MPG.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I owned a 2005 4.7 Dodge Ram just last year before I traded up to my 09 Hemi. They have the same transmissions so I think I know what your talking about and it is normal. When you get up to about 40-45 MPH that is the perfect cruising speed for those engines and they like to drop into Overdrive and get the RPMs as low as possible. So whenever you want to accelerate fast or press on the pedal past a certain point it will shift to give you the power of a lower gear until you let off the gas again. If you don't like the very low RPM's you can run it around in Tow/Haul mode all the time but it will kill your MPG's.

I also had a fairly loud exhaust on that truck as well and it would go from loud to a nice low rumble when this happens. As I said before...completely normal, it was just an attempt to get better MPG.

Makes perfect sense, I appreciate your replies, and no I will be good with this lol I am only getting 11/4 mpg now...highway or around town which is odd because I am light on the gas ...My truck only has 42,000 miles on it to so its a baby lol...

Well we all know we didn`t get these trucks for the mpg lol..I really want an 05 2500 diesel megacab!!! :smileup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have an 04 which does the same thing. In fact I try to drive 40 to 45 MPH to get the best in town MPG. The lower the RPMs the better the mileage. It took my truck to get over 50k miles to get in the 12's in town. It now has over 62,xxx miles on it. I also baby my truck a little.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
On top of a double overdrive (4th and 5th), the converter will also lock up once it's there and drop the rpm even more. This is why in town I tend to leave OD off. With 4.56 gears this is fun!

·
Registered
50 Posts
My '03 does the same thing. 55mph=about 1500 rpm. Turn overdrive off and it doesn't act like that but you can watch the gas gauge drop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts