DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2004 1500 ram with a 5.7 v8. Last night I got in the truck and started it, and as commonly happens, the oil pressure gauge did not come up. So I shut it off as usual, and went to restart it to get the OP to come up, and it hasn't started since. Put a obd II on it, came back originally with p0700 and p0562, so i changed the battery(original 2004 mopar battery!!) but no luck. Now the scanner returns no codes, just says it passed with no codes. It says my MIL is off(should be when running) but obviously it's not running. On the I/M function of the OBD all of the evap/egr stuff says not ready, although this may be because it's not running? Anyhow, my fuel pump is kicking on, battery is good, it's trying to start, it just won't turn over. I checked my fuses/relays, all seem ok. My check engine light flashes ten times and then stays solid if i cycle the ignition a few times( a buddy said it's a built in diagnostic??). Thanks for any input and i will provide more info if needed.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
I'm going to guess that you have a wire connection issue at the Instrument Cluster that is affecting the communications between modules, OR a bad Instrument Cluster (somewhat common issue in this generation).

Here is the Instrument Cluster repair manual and wiring diagrams.
http://www.ramforumz.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15163&d=1299130811
It's a bit of reading, but also has some great diagnostic info that can be done DIY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm gonna check fuel pressure after work, and check for spark at the plugs. if it doesn't spark, where should i check first? thanks again? and could the cluster prevent the engine starting?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok guys i hooked up my fuel pressure test kit to the test port located on the passenger side fuel rail, and flipped the ignition on. the pressure immediately shot up to 60, but rapidly fell once the ignition shut off. shouldn't it have held for at least a minute or so?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm no mechanic but I work on my own truck and I've learned alot in the 8 yrs I've had my Dodge,
#1, P0700 is Transmission Control System Malfunction.
#2, P0562 is Engine Management System low voltage.
#3, cycling the key is a diagnostic procedure that determines wether or not your instrument cluster (gauges, mil indicator, warning indicators, ect,..) are functioning properly. 10 flashes = system passed.
#4, When you disconnected your battery, you erased all of your DTC codes. DTC codes are stored in your PCM (powertrain control module) when your PCM detects a driveability or emissions malfunction. If it wont start, it will not set DTC codes.
The PCM is the main computer in your truck and it monitors and controls all of the sensors, fuel, starting and charging, and most importantly, the voltage sent to all of those systems and their components for proper operation.
If the transmission was operating properly, and you didn't have starting and charging issues prior to the no start, you may want to take it to a dealer or certified mechanic and have the PCM checked. It's not often they go bad and is often over looked. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need some help. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4 wheel drive 5.7 Hemi. Sunday I was driving on the highway with the cruise on and the engine just died. I tried to start it until my battery went flat. Had a wrecker tow it home. I ordered a code checker and it came in Wednesday. The reader would not work. I jumped the battery so I could show my grandson what it was doing and it started right up. So I drove it closer to the house and charged the battery. I went back after the battery charged started it up and backed back up to where it was. Started it up about 4 more times, perfect. So I decided to let it run for a while. About 15 or 20 minutes it died. Tried to start it again for the last three days with no luck. Borrowed a code reader and it showed three codes p0406, p0700, and another p0406. It turns over just fine but will not start. I even tried jumping it again just in case the battery didn’t have enough voltage. The tac shows 200 rpm when I try to start it so it shouldn’t be a crank sensor. And I don’t think the egr would keep it from starting. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pull the SKIM PCM fuse, latch the drivers seatbelt, turn the key on... wait for two chimes, turn key off, reinstall SKIM PCM fuse... then crank the truck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I Bought a 5.7l hemi 204 Laramie edition and I was told it needed fuel pump so I replaced it. All the electronics seem to work brand new battery. Won't start tried spraying ether down its throat it blew back like a big puff in my face girls got an attitude. Never owned a dodge b4 I noticed there's nowhere to Rev it up like a chevy so I held the plate open sprayed ether n cranked it the stick lit on fire it must have spark. Do these have fuel filters? Maybe an electronic or fuse issue I have no idea

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yo is it because of my profile pic from face book that everyone helps Stan but over the course of 3 weeks constantly posting on her not 1 person responds my post is literally next to this one wtf guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts