DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 1500 Hemi quad cab (laramie 4x4) and I've been getting it in shape to tow my 3 horse trailer.

I just replaced my rear springs with new ones, and some supersprings. The issue is I just can't use my existing exhaust with the supersprings. Factory exhaust pipe come out a sharp angle right next to the rear shackle. There's no room for the superspring.

So I think I need to just replace the exhaust. It's that or ditch the supersprings and just get the 2500 springs from general that are sized to fit a ram 1500. That's where I'd started, but after talking to Joe, we switched to the 1700 springs and supersprings so I'd have a better ride when not towing. Regret that now.

Anyway, I need a good TOWING exhaust for horses, that comes straight back out of the muffler and ends up out the back passenger side near the bumper. I don't want a huge growl upsetting the livestock. Luckily they load slantwise, so it would be on their butt sides and they won't be breathing it too.

The old exhaust is literally the only thing that rusted under the entire car, which otherwise LOOKS BRAND NEW. No kidding, it's cherry under there, except for that rusted exhaust system.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cut off the exhaust and installed the supersprings.

And they are TOTAL CRAP. I took them back off.

1) They changed the lift on my vehicle, despite being told by General Springs that they would not. They were recommended to me as a superior solution to just getting the 2500 springs with 1500 sized bushings, which would add 1" of lift to the back. I could live with 1" of lift, but the supersprings added 2".

2) All this crap bolted down to your leaf springs adding 4" of stiffness past either side of the axle mounting plate changes the dynamics of your springs.

3) Talk about a janky/crappy/makeshift design... plates, u bolts, cheap metal holding the mounting brackets in place, so lousy they deform as you tighten them, none of it well fit, the steel brackets being so damned cheap... what the F is the point of tempered bolts when you have some cheap piece of cold rolled sheet metal drilled like swiss cheese carrying the full weight? Look at your normal rear shackle... that's a heavy duty monster so the spring doesn't snap. There's no way those cheap plates can handle much load at all.

4) Fitment is horrible. One size fits all? LOL. Yeah, and they all fit like junk. And then you have all this lousy fitting hardware that you're going to have to continually tighten down because in normal use I guarantee those plates will deform. I can add pictures of how they already did just doing the normal install.

5) They are advertised as not affecting your ride. BULL_F'ING_CRAP. They did, and it was horrible, besides the lift the springs did not work right and hitting a bump the whole assembly made a horrible creaking sound. Maybe okay for a trailer, but not if it has horses in it. They'd be scared to death.

100% CRUD. 100% worst money I ever spent.

·
Super Moderator
34,384 Posts
Expecting increased capacity without a harsher unloaded ride is unrealistic. Thanks for getting the information out there about the springs for potential buyers who may happen upon this thread

1 - 3 of 3 Posts