DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, My 2500 has developed problems on the first start of the day and has been spending more time at the mechanic than at home. What would cause engine low vacuum ( a steady 15 on the gauge ) ? No fault codes come up even when the engine floods and surges on the initial start-up. I have about 130k kms and have been using 100% synthethic oil for the last few years. Thanks in advance. Norman

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hi all, My 2500 has developed problems on the first start of the day and has been spending more time at the mechanic than at home. What would cause engine low vacuum ( a steady 15 on the gauge ) ? No fault codes come up even when the engine floods and surges on the initial start-up. I have about 130k kms and have been using 100% synthethic oil for the last few years. Thanks in advance. Norman
DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OILS FOR THESE ENGINES. THEY ARE NOT MADE FOR OUR ENGINES. Just use high mileage oil or I prefer to use valvoline conventional oil.

Anyways having a steady vacuum is actually a good thing, a bad thing is when your needle is jumping on the vac tests. On some vacuum test gauges it will have indications of problems for a certain amount of vacuum. Anyways aside from that, low vacuum you may have a clog someplace. But as long as it runs and the vac needle is steady then your in good shape. I mean if you are having problems as far as start up and driving then that vac test means something. But go back to normal oil stay away from synthetics with these engines, these engines shipped with conventional oil and for a reason. also use only mopar oil filters because they don't seem to leak any oil from my personal use. if you remove the vacuum hose from the brake booster with the truck idling the idle speed should increase. just a tip, and it's fun to do.

·
Registered
589 Posts
THESE ENGINES ??? you have a 5.7l hemi dont know what ramvan is talking about nothing wrong with synthetics except its better in all aspects thermal breakdown,shear,cold startups,anti sludge any other reasons.as for low vac partially clogged line is possibility sending some thin, firm coated wire like house wire 12/2.(copper /vinyl coated) take line off use 1 piece of wire send it thru?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
THESE ENGINES ??? you have a 5.7l hemi dont know what ramvan is talking about nothing wrong with synthetics except its better in all aspects thermal breakdown,shear,cold startups,anti sludge any other reasons.as for low vac partially clogged line is possibility sending some thin, firm coated wire like house wire 12/2.(copper /vinyl coated) take line off use 1 piece of wire send it thru?
I could have sworn I said something about a clogged vacuum line. Anyways the reasons synthetics are potentially bad for these engines, engines being that they are truck engines and the real only big difference between a hemi pickup engine (not a real hemi engine) and a 5.2L other then the size of the block and material would be the cylinder heads and the bore of the cylinder plus the compression ratio which would possibly be adjust by timing if you can do it.

anyways synthetics are possibly bad because of the amount and type of additives used in the fake oils versus a premium (valvoline) conventional oil which yea I know has additives in it.
Now this is partially my opinion but also happens to come from the manufacture and other ram owners.
I will just not use synthetic unless it is specified by the manufacture.

Oil is oil but additives do a lot, some additives can potentially damage certain seals. anyways I might not have a hemi engine in my van for example but a dodge engine is a dodge engine. and a hemi from a pickup truck is NOT a real hemi engine. a real hemi is from the 60s-70s not this fuel injected garbage that they make today. I like fuel injection cause you don't have to pump that SOB to get it to turn over but in terms of the hemi engine use conventional oil. they shipped it out the factory with conventional for a reason.

and please no reason to tell someone they don't know what they are talking about, it's very very bad when you see someone older then me to go around saying "you don't know what you talking about... blah blah blah" especially when the person does not know a thing about I. anyways forget you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
sorry i hit a nerve ramvan not looking to offend you but i said (i did not know what ramvan was talking about)not that i was implying you were stupid but my opion being nothing wrong with sythetics.if u want to talk about oem fills from factory lots of high performance cars come with syns.just cant see why any1 would say or imply synthetics being detrimental to an engine.i use it in my lawnmower,and all my vehicles.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Well theirs some mechanics that prefer to use conventional in these trucks and cars. I mean a viper should be synthetic but a hemi engine in a truck isn't really performance. Besides the real hemi's 60s and 70s used conventional oil AND then things ran great gosh I would kill to have me any challenger from the 60s or 70s but hard to find.

I personally prefer to stay away from synthetics with these types of engines that you can pull from a junk yard pretty much. also when vehicles are high mileage I stay away from them because theirs somethings in an engine you don't want to clean.

Though this is off topic to oil but carbon buildup on a piston head is good because it aids in building compression.

But synthetic or convention just use LUBE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts