DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a ton of 2004+ Dodge Rams with rust over the rear wheel wells. Oddly I see plenty of late 90s Rams that have no rust. So was this a design problem or problem with the galvanization of the steel? If so, any idea if Dodge has resolved it? I just bought a 2014 Ram and would be disappointed if it started rusting before it was 10 or 12 years old.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
That series Ram had a fore and aft fender brace welded to stiffen the fender, unfortunately it trapped salt, especially if you didn't have rear fender liners. I caught mine just in time cleaned out all the sand and salt then sprayed a lot of "Fluid Film" then replaced fender liners. I also sprayed it inside doors, frame, and rocker panels. BTW, the GM and Toyota trucks have lots of frame rust issues, and Fords have the fender rust issues. Best thing you can do is to put your truck on a lift and spray" Kroil Oil" or "Fluid Film" inside frame, rockers, fenders, doors. Remove rear bumper, spray truck bed liner on the inside, as that gets sandblasted hard. Remove spare tire and blast that area as well. If you really love your truck, spray truck bed liner on everything exposed, frame under body, etc. BTW, my dad's 2006 GMC flunked Maine state inspection for frame rust!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I guess what my real question is, do the 2014s have the same design/issue that the 2004+ Rams did with that brace that you mentioned?

·
Super Moderator
34,280 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Thanks for the info. I guess what my real question is, do the 2014s have the same design/issue that the 2004+ Rams did with that brace that you mentioned?
No, this particular problem was isolated to the 3rd gen Rams (2002-2008).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, this particular problem was isolated to the 3rd gen Rams (2002-2008).
Thanks! That is what I was hoping. My '99 never had that issue, in fact I see a lot of late 90s early 2000s that have no rust and tons of the 2004 - 2008 that have the wheel wheels rusted out. So I'm glad they addressed that issue on the current generation.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I've never rust proofed any of my vehicles but I am pretty good about washing at least once every two weeks in the winter. I had a 1995 Ram that only had rust on the rear bumper and then I had a 2005 Titan for over 9 years and it didn't have any rust. I'm hoping the Ram holds up as well, I do see a lot of 2000's Rams with heavy rust on the rear fenders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To my knowledge, some type of foam spray/sealant was used on the 03-06 rams that was absorbing and holding moisture. This caused the rear wheel well rust problem in those years. It was realized and changed. The bracket may have been a contributing factor.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Not in Texas they didn't.

I can't wait to move back.
I hear ya there! I would love to live in a warm dry climate. I just can't take the summer heat. Here in the northeast everything rots. To much moisture and humidity in the air here. And the damn road salt in the winter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 3rd Gen Rams are my favorites. I've had three of them including a GTX model. When I decided to buy another one, all the rust I've seen on them made buying one out of the question. I found a 2012 Ram Laramie with 11,700 miles on it in February of this year and bought it. I actually traded in a 2014 Jeep Wrangler with 3,800 miles on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live in the rust belt and honestly, in upstate ny everything rots, its just a matter of time, I work an hr plus closer to the city from my home and last week I had a 09 Ram come in with the bed rot of the 02-08 (3rd gen) body style, so unfortunately rust is in everyones future

1 - 13 of 13 Posts