DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 4X4 shifts into 5th gear at almost exactly 80km/hr ( 50mph) during normal acceleration. I'm having a problem with the rear end locking for a split second only if I'm on the accelerator while shifting into 5th. Happening every time. Only if I'm on the accelerator though. If I accelerate aggressively up to approx. 90+ (km/hr) and release, the truck will naturally shift into 5th with no issues. Then I can continue accelerating to whatever speed I want. But if I have to gear down from slowing down, I have to do the same and accelerate aggressively to avoid that locking. Thoughts?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Rear end locking? Sounds more like a differential issue than transmission. Do you have the anti slip additive? Hemifever can tune the 545RFE transmission, btw. I run a Sonax line pressure booster, and hemifever raised my shift points to 6,300 rpms for my hot cam, 275,000+ miles and it shifts like a champ. Lots of drag racing with nitrous. You might try a trans fluid and filter change and check out the Sonax. It really firmed up my shifts. If it's the differential, locking up, doesn't make sense, would have already destructed, I would think.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
You may be experiencing an overlapped 4-5 shift (at certain throttles). Try having a shop or dealer quicklearn the trans and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may be experiencing an overlapped 4-5 shift (at certain throttles). Try having a shop or dealer quicklearn the trans and see if that helps.

Thanks... to me it does seem like a TCM issue. ^^ I can't see it being diff issue under the circumstances I'm experiencing.

I'll try out the quicklearn and hope for the best. I'll post back with results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts