DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a 2005 Dodge ram 1500 4x4. I was thinking of getting a 2" torsion key leveling kit installed since my truck doesn't have front coil springs. I've heard a lot about them ruining CV joints and what not... Anyone have some good advice? I would like to level my truck without getting a lift, not a huge fan of lifts.:4-dontknow::4-dontknow:

Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just crank up your torsion bars using the stock keys. The aftermarket keys will allow you to put way, way too much preload on the torsion bars. This will result in a stiff ride, extreme CV and ball joint angles and increased wear. Just crank up your torsion bars enough to level the truck and get an alignment. No need to buy a product that lets you do something you can already do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just crank up your torsion bars using the stock keys. The aftermarket keys will allow you to put way, way too much preload on the torsion bars. This will result in a stiff ride, extreme CV and ball joint angles and increased wear. Just crank up your torsion bars enough to level the truck and get an alignment. No need to buy a product that lets you do something you can already do.
how much of a level is safe without messing things up? 2" and under?

·
8,073 Posts
2" is definitely safe. On most trucks you can go 2.5" no problem. Take measurements of your 4 fender heights to determine how much rake you have. You'll want to retain at least 0.5" of rake to avoid looking nose high. Then you can figure out exactly how much you need to lift the front end to be level.

·
Registered
662 Posts
And keep an eye on your ball joints and cv joints. Just make sure the angles don't look too severe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know this is old but i have the same truck, what can i run for tires with the stock keys turned up? I have the stock 20's and plan on keeping them. Will 35-12.50R20's fit? What about a shock upgrade while I'm at it?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm not positive on your truck, but I think a 35x12.50-20 will fit, but they will rub the control arms at full steering lock. If you can find a narrower 35 inch tire, like the 285/65-20 BFG AT KO, they probably won't rub at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts