DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking at 2 ram hemi 2500 with a manual six speed

the 2005 has 40,000 miles it was used for plowing dealer says it was only used by the owner for his long driveway no commercial plowing .

the 2008 has 70,000 has power windows , locks , chrome and towing package

both trucks are 3.73 gears . I believe both have the g56 transmission

the truck is going to used as a work truck with a dump insert and carry heavy weight . does the 2008 have any upgrades being a newer truck , heard something about some rears have retaining clip problem

which truck do you think would be best for work since both are priced around the same . thank you

· Registered
208 Posts
I have a 2008 and one of the main upgrades with the 2008 model is the 4.7L engine gained like 50 horsepower and more torque. Since neither of the ones you're looking at have the 4.7L, you can forget that big plus. Otherwise I don't think there were many noteworthy improvements in 2008 other than slight cosmetic adjustments. There was some computer tweaks, addition of the TIPM (totally integrated power module) to replace the conventional fuse/relay block and to be honest - you're probably better off with the older fuse/relay block than the TIPM.

Many people say 2005 is the best year to own and modify, the best starting foundation. With 30,000 fewer miles I'd go for that one, provided it's a color you like, has been maintained as well as the 2008 and has all the features you want.

The rear ends - I have yet to hear of an issue with the 9.25 used in the 1500's like I have. I am not sure what rear ends the 2500's use. Haven't heard of the retaining clip problem you mentioned, other than knowing that C-clip axles/rear ends of any kind are not as strong as full floaters.

Also, I'm not positive, but I don't think 3.73 was available? I think it was either 3.55 or 3.92. Someone can probably correct me on that. Either way, good luck and let us know which one you go with!

· Registered
51 Posts
40,000 miles only plowing his long driveway? :SHOCKED:

Quick math says 40,000 miles / 11 years = 3636 miles a year. So if this was ONLY his plow truck and not his grocery getter, dude better have had a 50 mile driveway. Sounds like the dealer may not exactly know what he was plowing with it.

· Registered
3,060 Posts
I'd take the 05. Why? Jeez, All I can say my 2005 1500 has 230,000 miles and has been trouble free! I can only find 1 complaint: Wind noise around door seals at high speeds. Very rare to find a 2005 2500 without a million miles, btw! Check ball joints, tie rod ends, brake pads/rotors, but 40,000 miles isn't much. IMHO, that generation headlights look just right, after 05, fugly.

· Registered
14,001 Posts
40,000 miles only plowing his long driveway? :SHOCKED:

Quick math says 40,000 miles / 11 years = 3636 miles a year. So if this was ONLY his plow truck and not his grocery getter, dude better have had a 50 mile driveway. Sounds like the dealer may not exactly know what he was plowing with it.
I'd agree :LOL:

I would always double the mileage on ANY truck that had a plow mostly
because they tend to go backwards just as much ;)

· Premium Member
34,388 Posts
The '05 has less miles, and is older so you should be able to get it for less. Both are good trucks. Personally I think the '05 pre mid cycle refresh styling looks better than the '08, but YMMV

· Banned
3,850 Posts
I have a 2008 and one of the main upgrades with the 2008 model is the 4.7L engine gained like 50 horsepower and more torque. Since neither of the ones you're looking at have the 4.7L, you can forget that big plus. Otherwise I don't think there were many noteworthy improvements in 2008 other than slight cosmetic adjustments. There was some computer tweaks, addition of the TIPM (totally integrated power module) to replace the conventional fuse/relay block and to be honest - you're probably better off with the older fuse/relay block than the TIPM.

Many people say 2005 is the best year to own and modify, the best starting foundation. With 30,000 fewer miles I'd go for that one, provided it's a color you like, has been maintained as well as the 2008 and has all the features you want.

The rear ends - I have yet to hear of an issue with the 9.25 used in the 1500's like I have. I am not sure what rear ends the 2500's use. Haven't heard of the retaining clip problem you mentioned, other than knowing that C-clip axles/rear ends of any kind are not as strong as full floaters.

Also, I'm not positive, but I don't think 3.73 was available? I think it was either 3.55 or 3.92. Someone can probably correct me on that. Either way, good luck and let us know which one you go with!
2500, won't have a 4.7 plus the gear options are different. I'd say the 05, BUT do a really good close frame inspection. If there's even any hint of rust/rot starting from being a plow truck, go with the 08.

· Registered
208 Posts
2500, won't have a 4.7 plus the gear options are different. I'd say the 05, BUT do a really good close frame inspection. If there's even any hint of rust/rot starting from being a plow truck, go with the 08.
Right that's why I said...

Since neither of the ones you're looking at have the 4.7L, you can forget that big plus.
Just mentioning that this was the most significant upgrade in 2008, and it doesn't apply to his situation.

I don't see how plowing with a truck would cause a frame to rust or rot any more than driving it down a salty highway would, but good advice nonetheless.

Like most guys here have agreed, in your particular situation, going with the truck with less mileage will probably be your best bet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.