DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum and also new to a Dodge Ram! I just bought a 2006 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Big Horn Edition w/ HEMI. Obviously, with the vehicle being nearly 10 years old, I bought it expecting to deal with some slight rust. Overall, the body seems to be in great condition for its age compared to others I see on the road. I want to make it last as long as possible, however. There are already some rust spots above both of the rear wheel wells (from what I read, very common). They look like there may have been a slight attempt at a fix at some point as a lot of the metal underneath this rust (on the lip inward of the wheel well) looks discolored like heat was applied to it with a possible welding operation. I have fender flares on front and back at the moment, which covers it up, but obviously doesn't fix the problem.

I just ordered the POR15 super starter kit and figure that I may try that here soon with the fender flares removed and sand, clean, prep, and paint with the POR15 on the edge of the wheel well. It is a gloss black and my truck is red, but I will probably put the fender flares back on after anyway, so no need to match paint. I also ordered the POR15 rubberized undercoating spray. I thought it would make sense to spray over this newly repaired surface with this prior to putting on the fender flares to further protect it from moisture, etc.

What are your thoughts on this? Are there other methods, or should i just take it in the body shop and have them fix it for the extra money?

My other issue is I wanted to get the underbody rustproofed and coated before Winter. There is already surface rust on some of the components underneath. I talked with a conpany,Ziebart, and they have a special right now with both rustproofing and undercoating underneath the truck (for sound deadening and further moisture protection) and that comes with free annual inspection, power wash, and reapplication if necessary. Has anyone dealt with this or similar and have success or is it not worth the time and money?

Any information would be great!
Thanks!

2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab Big Horn Edition

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2006 SLT Quad Cab as well in similar condition to yours. It has been well taken care of and undercoated at some time in the past by a previous owner. Like yours, I have some rust along the edge of the fenders (more on the driver's side than the passenger side). No flares added though. First thing I did was have it undercoated. I debated whether to have it Krowned which is a clear coating, but it drips. If the truck were new, I would had done it that way. Instead I had it undercoated by a local garage with a heavier darker drip-less coating. I can't tell you the brand name but it wasn't Krown. I am planning on tackling the fenders this weekend, but I am going at it the old fashioned way by using a power wheel on my grinder - cleaning out the rust as best I can, using a good primer, and then finish with the paint from the factory (PDM - Metallic Grey). I will need to do this annually methinks. I will likewise have it undercoated with the same product annually.

One thing that does help before you undercoat is to spend an hour with a high pressure sprayer and REALLY spraying as much as you can to dislodge any dirt or existing corrosion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts