DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been having a battery drainage issues and finally found that if I unplug cluster the amperage drop goes from 1.27 to .37. Have been reading that I should replace it, but found out part # 831AH is discontinued. Thought about just getting one from a different truck but dealership cannot/will not program to my truck for my mileage and everything, unless it is a refurbished one from dodge. Is this true? If so, what would my next steps be if any? I found circuit board doctors online so I might try them. Only other option that I can think of is just to replace the battery cut off switch and live with it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have been having a battery drainage issues and finally found that if I unplug cluster the amperage drop goes from 1.27 to .37. Have been reading that I should replace it, but found out part # 831AH is discontinued. Thought about just getting one from a different truck but dealership cannot/will not program to my truck for my mileage and everything, unless it is a refurbished one from dodge. Is this true? If so, what would my next steps be if any? I found circuit board doctors online so I might try them. Only other option that I can think of is just to replace the battery cut off switch and live with it
Powerram92 you might pull the cluster and send it to www.myairbags.com and let them recondition it. I think they must have a setup where they re-solder (or re-flow the solder) on all those tiny connections on the back of the cluster. About $150 and they are reasonably quick. I have had them do that twice (2006 RAM 2500 Diesel Big Horn) to fix things like tach, fuel gauge, speedo.
I think you are supposed to unhook the battery(s) before you remove it however.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ended up finding a company on ebay that will send out a refurbished cluster in exchange for the old one. And adjust mileage also. Cost like $170. But I was still having battery drainage once installed. I did find the harness that goes to my dome light was burnt so I'm wondering if the short didnt travel down a bit and burn the wires or some other scenario. I got sick of messing with it and tearing everything apart so I bought a remote controlled battery switch on amazon and installed it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts