DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Lone Star, 5.7 gas. Warning "Check Guage" light flashed for 1 second and engine quit 2 times while I was driving. Just glad I had got home safe from mountain trip. Any help me please:att:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Wow that's insane! Dangerous and unacceptable. Not sure what that would be, fuel pump going out maybe. I've only ever had 1 vehicle shut off while in motion and I was in passenger seat since I needed a designated driver and somehow I kicked the fuel cut off switch under glove box. Good luck

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,223 Posts
I think a bit more information would be helpful.
The light flashed for two seconds and the engine quit twice is a bit confusing, and suggests the engine quit at least once with no trouble lights at all?

You don't say how long the engine stayed inoperable either, or how you got it started again.
Were you able to start the engine immediately after you came to a stop? Did you have to wait for it to cool down? Did any other warning lights or trouble lights come on? How many miles have you driven since this happened?
I'm not sure what a "check gauge" light is - do you mean the "check engine" light? And if so, you had one engine failure without that trouble light, is that right?

How far apart were these two engine failures? Was the gas tank nearly empty? Had you just filled up?

You get the idea. There are some pretty smart cookies around here, and the more detail you give, the easier it will be for them to offer relevant suggestions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still confused.

Wow that's insane! Dangerous and unacceptable. Not sure what that would be, fuel pump going out maybe. I've only ever had 1 vehicle shut off while in motion and I was in passenger seat since I needed a designated driver and somehow I kicked the fuel cut off switch under glove box. Good luck
i HAD pUT A QUART OF WRONG WEIGHT, AND THE WARNING LIGHT WOULD COME ON SOMETIMES. i KNEW WHAT THE LIGHT WAS. tHIS CHECK GUAGE FLASH WAS NEW. O'Rileys came up with 4 codes, but as I was due for an oil change, said wait. On the way to get oil done, the light flashed again and the truck quit again. Started right up. Had warning light rechecked, and had the same four codes. Cleared the info, and now no warning lights. Truck runs fine, no sign of fuel problems. Still confused.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still confused.

i WAS DRIVING HOME AND A CHECK GAUGE LIGHT FLASHED FOR 1 SECOND. TRUCK QUIT RUNNING AND TURNED OFF. It was not the check engine light, but was on the same panel. Truck started right up. I then went on a 250 mile trip no problems at all. O'Rileys said I had 4 codes but told me to do oil change first. The engine warning light would sometime come on because I put wrong weight quart of oil in it. I knew from the past what the light meant. 2 days later I got an oil change, it was due. ON the way to do it, truck "check guage" light flashed again for a second and the truck shut off. Started right up no problem. Drove back to O'rileys had the engine warning light diagnosed again and same 4 codes. Cleared these codes, and drove with no warning lights at all. Truck runs great. Lots of power when needed, no jerks sounds or nothing.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It would be helpful to know what those "4 codes" actually were.

But the truck has been running problem-free since the oil change, is that right?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Confused.

It would be helpful to know what those "4 codes" actually were.

But the truck has been running problem-free since the oil change, is that right?

CANT REMEMBER CODES, BUT WAS TOLD THEY CAN HAVE LOTS OF DIFFERENT MEANINGS. Truck runs great now, but just been a few days since deleting changes after oil change.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Some time that you are killing time
Go to Auto Zone, Advanced or O'Rileys, etc. & have them hook up the scan tool to see if there are any stored Codes.
Write down those Codes, if there are any, they will usually begin with a P & the rest will be numbers, like P0456 for example.
P0456 can be deciphered, it usually means something is likely wrong with the Gas Cap, it can mean other things, but a mechanic would first check the gas cap

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Without knowing the codes that were thrown, it's tough to be specific.

In general, the 'check gauges" light will come on if the system senses an abnormal reading from one of the monitoring gauges, like low oil pressure, high coolant temperature or lack of charging voltage or the like.
In some cases, like with loss of an oil pressure reading, the system might cut the engine as a protective measure.

You mentioned that the issue happened around adding oil, and being due for an oil change. It's possible that the system triggered because of a low oil pressure/level reading or something like that. Especially if the problem has not recurred since the oil change.

Knowing the codes that were thrown would be really helpful, but it's too late for that now. Next time, if there is one, it would be best to write them down.

As GTYankee suggests, it may still be possible to find some codes stored in the system even though they were "cleared".
While it's true that some codes can have more than one thing that throws them, if 4 codes were thrown it's not unlikely that knowing them would help narrow things down a whole lot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
there were 2 p codes, one was oil. I am very careful to watch my gauges and check all fluids regularly. I believe one was the egr. I took the advice of O'Rileys, who have always been very good at help. My concern is the engine just quitting while driving. I live on the Oregon coast, with tight turns and big ocean drop off. Our roads also are not very wide. I am a very good safe driver, but can also drive like I am in a race car. lol.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I believe that her main issue was that the engine has or had the incorrect motor oil

2006 ram 1500 Lone Star 5.7L engine
2006 was the first year for Dodge Ram 5.7L to have MDS, ( the engine shuts down to only 4 working cylinders, because at that particular time all 8 cylinders are not needed )

MDS engines run best when using 5W-20 oil
someone used 5 or 10W-30 & some sensor sensed the heavier oil & set off the trouble light
The Trucks computer at some point shut the engine down to protect it
Once the oil pressure dropped, everything sort of reset itself & the engine was able to be restarted

Now with the correct 5W-20 oil, it may never happen again

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
there were 2 p codes, one was oil. I am very careful to watch my gauges and check all fluids regularly. I believe one was the egr. I took the advice of O'Rileys, who have always been very good at help. My concern is the engine just quitting while driving. I live on the Oregon coast, with tight turns and big ocean drop off. Our roads also are not very wide. I am a very good safe driver, but can also drive like I am in a race car. lol.
OK, if one of the codes was oil related, that's interesting, since the issue seems to have occurred around the time of oil additions and changes.

I do wish you'd update your profile too, since I spent a bit of time checking to see if high temperatures/humidity like one might expect to find in Rockport Texas might be relevant, only to find you're on the Oregon Coast.

Detective work is all about details. There is no such thing as too much detail in a situation like this.
:smileup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Although it's not as highly reliable as an OBDII reader, you can do the "key dance" to see what codes have been stored. Without the exact fault codes..nobody can give you a proper diagnosis!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Confused.

I tried to update, but could not find the address part. will try again. We have humidity, but our summer highs are about 67 and we dont get snow or bad freezes. I drove over 2000 miles with the one quart of wrong oil with no trouble. I dont think the oil was the cause of the engine shutting down. No noise, rumbles or jerks. Was running great and just shut off after quick flash warning. I have been driving for over 50 years, and do most of my own work, starters alternators, tune ups etc. AS I said, engine sounds good before and after oil change.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
B1B70 is an acceleration sensor code - part of the airbag deployment control I think. Not sure what's going on with that one.

P0406 is generic code for a high EGR circuit reading.

P0700 is a generic code for transmission control system MIL request

P1521 is a Chrysler code for "incorrect oil type"

The fact that the "check gauge" light came on suggests the system was getting a dodgy monitoring input from somewhere.
Given how many times the "oil" issue has come up, and at least one code is directly oil related, it could easily be an out-of-range oil pressure/level input and the system shut the engine down as a protective measure.

If the problem with flashing "check gauges" light resurfaces, whether the engine cuts out or not, I think I'd want to check the actual oil pressure, independently of the gauge, to make sure the oil pump is up to snuff. If it is, I'd wonder if the trucks oil pressure sending unit is dodgy.

But if the truck is running normally with no weird noises, and the oil pressure is reading normal, if it was my truck I'd drive it without worrying too much. Like GTYankee suggested, it may never happen again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Confused.

Thank you so much. I went to the Dodge dealer and they didn't have a clue.

Truck runs great, and I am a gauge watcher. I look at them all the time. I did have an airbag light come on today, then it went off. also am going from 12 mpg now get 15mpg. Dont know why but not complaining. This is with a 900lb popup truck camper on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
06 Ram 5.7 oil trouble.

I had problems with warning light, but I knew it was a wrong oil code.
Had walmart change my oil. Had codes cleared. Drove about 50 miles again and light came back on. Again O'Rileys checked and said wrong viscosity. Called Walmart, who had done my oil change before this one, and they said the paperwork said 5/20 was used. They want me to get a mechanic to prove this, or tell me something else is wrong. They are wrong I think. Any help please.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Um, Walmart?

Seriously?
Did you get a receipt for the work?
Did it specify what oil and filter were used, by brand-name?

At this point I can't think of anything to suggest but to get the oil changed at a dealership and pretty much start over.

If the "wrong viscosity" code is thrown again, talk to them about what could be causing that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts