DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member.

I have a 2006 Ram Quad cab 1500 with rear anti lock brakes. I don't drive my truck much but do use it to tow my camping trailer. 2 years ago I replace the rotors and pads with Advance Auto equipment. I was not please with the braking performance so I removed them and bought PowerStop brakes (rotors and Pads) from Summit Racing Equipment. I broke the brakes in as per the instructions that came with the brakes. These felt a bit better but the brakes still feel spongy and soft. I have manually (pressure) bled the system many times. I have completely replace all of the brake fluid with new fluid. I still have soft brakes.

When I say soft brakes, the pedal travels down farther than what is comfortable before I begin to get some braking action. If I give the pedal a pump it seems to get noticeably better. I have heard and read that I need to bleed the ABS motor but don't know how. I have traveled down a steep hill and mashed the brakes to get the rear ABS to activate and then bled the system but still nothing. I am about to change the master cylinder but I don't think that is the problem. I have run the engine. Shut it off, pump the brakes to relieve the booster pressure and stepped on the brake. It travels very slightly and then is hard and doesn't move, making me believe it is not a master cylinder problem. I also put a vacuum gage on the check valve and it holds 20 inches, no problem.

Please help.

Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've had very similar problems in the past with a Charger; turned out, the flex hoses on the front, were expanding under pressure, due to old age.
I found out by putting a pair of vise grips just where the hose starts, to eliminate them.
Everything else being ok, it's a possibility.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts