DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background....i have a 2007 1500 4x4, i put in a 2" Hell Bent Steel leveling kit and had the alignment done a week ago. I just received new rims and tires yesterday and put them on. On the way home today i felt a mild vibration in the front end and the steering wheel between 45 and 55 MPH. A little slower or faster and it goes away? The tires are 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers...I did a lot of reading into the "Death Wobble" in the weeks before hand so i don't know if its just my head playing games with me? Any and all suggestions or recommendations for things to look at are appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered them online...they were supposed to be balanced before they shipped. I'm going to run them over to a shop and have them throw the wheels on the machine later. I'll see what happens?

·
Registered
19 Posts
2 things->
1)> DEATH WOBBLE. not a mild shimmy. An all out, 3 coupon ride that seems to last for an eternity the first time you get one. Believe me. Its a shocker. If you are questioning IF you had one.... you probably didn't. (Mine turned out to be a blown Steering Damper.... '07 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega w gas guzzling Hemi :D )

2)> Tires may have been balanced.... but who knows how well and to what standard?
Try a "ROAD FORCE BALANCE" The machine does all of the work and gives you a much more accurate picture in terms of whether or not the tire is the problem, the rim is the problem etc.... It can also tell you, with the help of a trained technician, Which position the wheel should ride on the truck to maximize cabin comfort. It costs more to have done.... But I had it done once.... I'll always have it done this way now...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I figure it's a balance issue i was just freaking out a little bit. I didn't get to the tire shop last night going tonight after work. Thanks for the input I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
anytime ive had a vibration i alwys rotate tires from front to back to see if it makes any noticable difference(because its free doing it myself)to narrow it down to which tire is causing problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the front two tires rebalanced and they were off by about 2oz! However as soon as I left, I noticed that I was still having the vibration so I knew it was something else. I called the rim shop where I ordered the rims and tires (this is going to sound really stupid), he asked me if I had removed the locking washers that they use during assembly to hold the rotors on....I did not! I took the rims off, took the locking clips off and for now I'm vibration free!!! Can't believe I missed that, and feel a little stupid but hey I'm just glad I got it figured out. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help, much appreciated!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.